BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 BMW 530, and I can roll down the windows with my fob. However I can't get them to roll up when I hold my lock button. What could I do to fix this?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sry man can't do it in the U.S. Well, dealers won't do it for you. You have to find someone with the computer stuff to program it for you.

·
Registered
637 Posts
its a saftey issue, thats why we cant prog the keys to roll the windows up. actually i'll have to check the dis machine monday to see if its even possible to make them go up with the remote. you can use the key to roll them up and close the sunroof, insert it into the lock and turn it all the way to the right and hold.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
lex89 said:
Sry man can't do it in the U.S. Well, dealers won't do it for you. You have to find someone with the computer stuff to program it for you.
-Does that mean it IS possible, that the code exists in the car and just needs to be unlocked?

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's what I believe, Palantirion. I'm pretty sure people who's cars were purchased outside the U.S. (I think ED still counts as a U.S. car though), have the ability to roll the windows up with the remote.

·
Registered
637 Posts
its not like getting a vag tool to use on an audi, we have dis(diagnostic info sys) and the gt1(group tester one) machines at work, these cost $$$$$$$. i dont think you can get a pc app to do this programming. i'll look into it tomorrow at work and get a definate answer.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
nightkrawler said:
its not like getting a vag tool to use on an audi, we have dis(diagnostic info sys) and the gt1(group tester one) machines at work, these cost $$$$$$$. i dont think you can get a pc app to do this programming. i'll look into it tomorrow at work and get a definate answer.
We have to take my wife's wagon down to BMS Monday morning anyway to recode the new right-side mirror module, so I'll have Chris look through his computer to see if that option exists.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,707 Posts
Palantirion said:
We have to take my wife's wagon down to BMS Monday morning anyway to recode the new right-side mirror module, so I'll have Chris look through his computer to see if that option exists.
It's not on the GT1. The option DOES exist though as the coding is std in Europe. The reason we don't get it is that we're so litigious here in the old US that NA is scared we'll get a baby hand stuck (or worse- leave a baby in the car) and we'll sue NA for enabling our mistake.

What you need is a company that enables it for you. Roundel a year ago or so highlighted a company that has a unit for 3 series 'verts. The autor installed the unit and was able to flip the top up *and* roll up the windows from his remote. Pretty sure that same company has a fix for the E39 windows, or could make one.

I have also seen a software fix that will flip the M5 mirrors up on arm and back down on disarm.

Edit:

Planitron, that is a [email protected]@L Signature. It really needs to be smaller.

·
Registered
954 Posts
This is not a DIS/GT1 codeable option like other car memory settings. It is part of the ZKE, but cannot be unlocked because the country code embedded in the car's central coding key will simply not allow for it. You would need to change the central coding key to reflect another market in order for the program to be unlocked in the ZKE. Of course this would affect other things as well.

The other option is to use special software the engineers have and manually do the manipulations in the General Module. Good luck with either.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
sorry to brig up this old thread but another thread (can't find it out) someone said they got their remote-up to work via GT1...

semi-OT but which one's better: Modic or GT1?

·
Registered
637 Posts
"modic", lol, thats a name i haven't heard in a long time. modic was the diag system that we used before the dis/gt1 came out. the modic went the way of the do-do a long time ago, i've never even seen a real one. i doubt there is a bmw dealer in america that still has an operating modic. regardless, the sss(software service station) is what we use at work to program cars, and do the car/key memory options(rolling locks, drl's etc). the sss is basically a pc with windows xp embedded loaded with the progman software on top. after a bit more investigating and talking to our master tech, from what i gather you'd have to modify the vehicle order to make that option even available. i don't even know if this is possible, but in an case its a moot point because no dealer is going to do this for anyone.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the Reinhold gadget for my M3 Cab and can put the top/windows up and down with my fob. I don't think they have an E39 Windows gadget though.

They absolutely would not ship it to me in the US. No way, no how. I had to have it shipped to a friend in Belgium who reshipped it to me.

It is cool, though. I can put the top down as I walk up to the car or put it up as I walk away. People ooh and ahh :)

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
so this is what i've gathered:
if we can get a ZKE from outside of the US (canada?) and installed it in ours with coding, we can get our window up working?

·
Registered
637 Posts
first you have to find out where the vehicle order is stored, on an e90 its stored in the frm and redundantly in the cas. the e39 may also have a redundant storage location.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
I have an 04 530i and i can put the windows down with the keys but can't put them up anyone knows how??
You're in the wrong forum...you need the next generation 5 series (e60). :)

Our generation of 5 series (e39 = 1997-2003) had the remote roll up of side windows blocked by the BMW proprietary software. It could be programmed, using aftermarket software, to remotely roll up the windows and close the sunroof...but unless you purchased the software/hardware (or knew someone else that had it) you can only insert the key manually into the driver's door lock cylinder to perform this convenience closing feature without having to get back into the car and insert the key into the ignition.

Your generation of 5 series (e60/e61 = 2004-2010?) had a new communication BUS system (iDrive)...and there are many programmable options that the owner can do thru that system...have you read thru your owners manuals and supplemental booklets to see if this is something you can do yourself without any additional equipment?

If you haven't, you can ask this question on the e60/e61 forum where the answer to this question might be answered better.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you notice the date on the thread? 2006. Ah, was a great year 2006. :)

Jim
Well last reply was in 2012 still old but that doesn't mean anything, people still looking for this solution, and they will find this thread with no answer to the problem, so I posted it

·
Registered
13 Posts
After fixing my "twisted seats" I got the Air bag light for not disconnecting the battery while I performed the repair, so I found a guy in Craigslist here in Houston that advertised himself for BMW Coding. So I called him up and when he came to my place to reset the Airbag light, he also offered me a long list of different coding options he could add to my 2003 530i. I chose two options, 1) Euro-style Hazard lights and 2) Remote window roll up. Paid him $50 for all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.