Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my windows tinted on my 2015 M3. Sakhir Orange

Those of you who have gotten yours tinted, do you match the front 2 with the back 2? I have looked up a lot of different cars and people seem to do both.

Let me know what you have and if you like it! Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know the laws in California, but it depends on how dark you want it and what the laws are and how rigorously they are enforced? I went darker on my rear windows than my fronts to try and avoid some attention, whilst hopefully making it dark enough for thieves to have hard time seeing in. Not totally sure it helps with the thief part, but it does look better than no tint imo.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the laws in California, but it depends on how dark you want it and what the laws are and how rigorously they are enforced? I went darker on my rear windows than my fronts to try and avoid some attention, whilst hopefully making it dark enough for thieves to have hard time seeing in. Not totally sure it helps with the thief part, but it does look better than no tint imo.
Hey thanks for the reply. I'll be following CA laws on front and back no matter what. Just wondering if people like to match the tints or prefer to have the back darker

·
Registered
62 Posts
I match my tints, and end up going a bit lighter - in Chicago I have never received any tickets for tint, no front plate, etc...but in the suburbs they go crazy about these tints (in my experience).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would prefer to match both and have it darker all around, but that will likely cause me more grief with peace officers (glorified tickets writers/wannabe cops) lol ! Are you allowed to have tint on your front windows in Cali?

·
Registered
95 Posts
California law is pretty restrictive in terms of front tint:

Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
California law is pretty restrictive in terms of front tint:

Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows. Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
that's better than here, not allowed any tint that's not factory on front.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Choices for tint

I would strongly suggest keeping it legal. No need to give the cops a BS reason to pull u over when they can’t get u for a more serious offense because you hit the brakes in time or something similar. I’ve got two shaded tint and barely notice the difference. I am not a fan of too dark front windows or “blacked out” taillights. When it comes to driving especially at night I like to see and be seen. The hassle of an accident that might have possibly have been avoided is well more valuable than being “cool”

1 - 8 of 8 Posts