BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried to have our front driver and passenger side windows professionally tinted yesterday and the installer said every time they tried to apply the tinting the safety mechanism that prevents you from getting your hand or fingers stuck in the window would activate and the Windows would roll down. Has anyone else experienced that? Is there a solution?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
We tried to have our front driver and passenger side windows professionally tinted yesterday and the installer said every time they tried to apply the tinting the safety mechanism that prevents you from getting your hand or fingers stuck in the window would activate and the Windows would roll down. Has anyone else experienced that? Is there a solution?
Never had any problem with window tinters who were familiar with BMWs handling something like that. My recomendation would be to find another tinter who is familiar with BMW.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Tell the installers to open the window slightly and turn off the car. My installer and many other installers don't have problems with the X5 windows.

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
how many layers are they putting on? there is no way that i know of that pinch protection would be activated by having tint alone installed.
the only thing i can think of is if they were trying to do the one touch up feature with the door open and it would not work.
if so close the door and try and it should work as designed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The dealer I got my X5 from (new) had already tinted the windows. They do all of their cars because it's Phoenix. No issues on mine at all.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thinking of tinting our X5 when we pick it up later this month.

We are leasing, so I am guessing the tint needs to come off when we turn it back in?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Find a different installer who isn't new to tinting....there are ways to out think the mouse trap like removing the door panel/card or trimming the tint on the outside of the window first so the tint is only wet and place and with the panel removed you don't even have to put the window down

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
What tint did you guys use. I'm thinking of tinting the windows for heat rejection (preferably ceramic) but I also want to match front and rear windows. I don't like the clear front with factory tinted rear windows. I've used Huper Optik and FormulaOne in past cars but I doubt the Huper Optik will match.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts