BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooooo, my window trim is like falling off or something. its the black trim around the inside of the driver window frame. it makes it basically impossible to pull up to a bunch of hot ladies and roll the window down only to have part of the window sill thing hanging in my face!!! will this get covered under warranty because i guarantee you i didnt attempt to rip off the window frame of my brand new bmw. :cry:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
It's a very common problem. It has probably happened a couple hundred times for everyone on this board combined, twice for me. Just let your dealer know and they will either reglue it or put a new one on.

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
Warranty item... happened to me 3 times in 2.5 years... so far.... :eek:

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
... 4 times in one year here. Any time that the temperature is over 90 degress for a couple of days the trim falls on both doors; last time was last week.

That bad is this POS trim... :tsk:

·
7,078 Posts
Me too. It seems to be the heat that does this to our trim. They haven't discovered an adhesive that withstands heat over there in Germany? :tsk:

3M Super WeatherStrip Adhesive seems to work pretty well keeping the trim up where it belongs. Once I'm out of warranty, I'll probably do that, or peel the falling part of it off completely.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
doeboy said:
Me too. It seems to be the heat that does this to our trim. They haven't discovered an adhesive that withstands heat over there in Germany? :tsk:

3M Super WeatherStrip Adhesive seems to work pretty well keeping the trim up where it belongs. Once I'm out of warranty, I'll probably do that, or peel the falling part of it off completely.
I've always wondered if they even do 90F + testing. I remember the rear sunshade in my mother's E38 would always jam up. After a couple of replacements, they finally realized the hot Florida sun was causing the plastic components to warp out of place, and they replaced it with a metal one.

The last time my trim was coming undone, I kept on pulling it just to get it out of my face when I was driving. It was one piece that went all the way to the floor. :eek:

·
7,078 Posts
Mathew said:
I've always wondered if they even do 90F + testing. I remember the rear sunshade in my mother's E38 would always jam up. After a couple of replacements, they finally realized the hot Florida sun was causing the plastic components to warp out of place, and they replaced it with a metal one.

The last time my trim was coming undone, I kept on pulling it just to get it out of my face when I was driving. It was one piece that went all the way to the floor. :eek:
Well they DO test in Death Valley in the middle of the summer months don't they? Apparently it's not long enough a test to discover this problem as it takes prolonged high temps to make the stuff fall down. :(

·
2 pieces dry white toast
1,107 Posts
I just joined the club :(

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Mathew said:
Again for me.

And it's not under warranty anymore...
Be careful not to damage the sill or you will need a new one. And while gluing it back is a cheap thing, replacing it wont be that cheap.

It seems that our beemers are not heat resistant. I get creaking windows everytime i open my windows after the car has been left in the sun.:dunno:

I even got a broken window regulator after trying to cool off the car and opening all windows simultaneously.:mad:

Cost? $160

·
Registered
863 Posts
Interesting. I never had a problem with mine, and it gets close to 100 here at times. I guess the south african builds used better glue! haha

·
7,078 Posts
Bill97Z said:
Interesting. I never had a problem with mine, and it gets close to 100 here at times. I guess the south african builds used better glue! haha
This is a coupe specific issue that we're talking about.

·
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
50 Posts
helpful hints on the door seals

Here is some info I posted in another forum about the door seals that might be helpful.

A lesson learned. (yes its probably listed under "search" somewhere)

I would suggest going to the dealer to get it repaired. Use something temporarily to stick it(pull it back down prior to going to appointment). If you are still under your original warranty they will replace it. Once they replace it, this information gets documented and you get a 2 year warranty on that part. So in Bender's case, you may still be under the 2 year warranty of the replaced door seals.

What I learned from this is to get both of them done within the new warranty. Then use the 2 year warranty on that particular part for back up after your original warranty expires(not covered under CPO).

Unfortunately I have one that the dealer is going to replace again and the other cost $277 plus labor ugh ugh. Florida heat on top of factory defect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts