BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only Drivers side,
Worked fine when I brought it in, Now it will go down ok with the one touch click, but won't come up with the one touch,
You have to hold the button up for the window to close

The passenger side works fine,
Anything I can do? Or does it have to go back?

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,777 Posts
On the Z3s you can restore the function by putting the window down, then push the up button and hold it for 10 sec (I think) after it gets to the top. Not sure if the Z4 works the same way or not.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,252 Posts
Simple fix, presuming they didn't actively change your window/key code without your consent. I have this same window problem every time I disconnect the battery, but this doesn't change the actual coding - it just makes the computer forget :dunno: Anyway, just roll the window down by pressing ALL the way down on the window switch. Then bring it back up pulling ALL the way up on the window switch. Repeat this two more times. Then it should auto up/down again.

·
Joiner
667 Posts
In the FAQs thread on this forum there is a window reinitialization procedure, courtesy of Ron Stygar.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far none of these have worked,
I think they might have been in there with the coding machine, Could they just disable one touch close on drivers side only?

Surely if they disabled it both sides wouldn't work? Or it wouldn't go up or down one touch,
I have down (open) working fine, its just closing has stopped,

also I noticed sometimes I press the button and it does nothing, Wont open or close then you keep pushing it over and over and it comes back to life,
Weird :dunno:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Try this. This is from my SA:

SUBJECT
Window De-Initialization/Initialization Procedure

MODEL
E85 (Z4) produced from April 2004

SITUATION
Power windows convenience closing or automatic one-touch feature may not operate correctly.

CAUSE
The power windows will need to be de-initialized and then initialized if:

1. The side windows have been adjusted (e.g. after the hardtop is fitted).
2. The vehicle is new and is going through the QC1 process.
Note: Initial window settling during vehicle's transportation from the factory can affect the clearance between the window and the convertible top seal. Therefore, it will be necessary to de-initialize and then initialize the power windows of every new E85 during the QC1 process.

The power windows will need to be initialized if:

The battery has been disconnected.
The power supply to either door is disconnected.
PROCEDURE
To de-initialize the windows:

Close both doors.
Lower both windows completely.
Immediately push the window switch down 4 times within 10 seconds.
Check that the automatic one-touch is not working.
To initialize the power windows:

Connect a battery charger to the vehicle. You don***8217;t need this step
Close both doors and the soft top (or hardtop installed).
Raise windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Lower the windows 100 mm or approximately 4 inches.
Raise the windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Close the windows using the one-touch feature function and ensure that this works correctly.
Check the anti-trap function by inserting a plastic rod with a diameter greater than 6 mm in the left side window between the door window and the soft-top/hardtop and then close the window with the one touch function. If the function is OK, the anti-trap function will respond.
Repeat step 8 above for the right side window.
Clear the "scaling fault" stored in the General module.
Note: Any brief interruption in performing the above steps may require for the entire initialization procedure to be repeated.

·
Joiner
667 Posts
Try this. This is from my SA:

SUBJECT
Window De-Initialization/Initialization Procedure

MODEL
E85 (Z4) produced from April 2004

SITUATION
Power windows convenience closing or automatic one-touch feature may not operate correctly.

CAUSE
The power windows will need to be de-initialized and then initialized if:

1. The side windows have been adjusted (e.g. after the hardtop is fitted).
2. The vehicle is new and is going through the QC1 process.
Note: Initial window settling during vehicle's transportation from the factory can affect the clearance between the window and the convertible top seal. Therefore, it will be necessary to de-initialize and then initialize the power windows of every new E85 during the QC1 process.

The power windows will need to be initialized if:

The battery has been disconnected.
The power supply to either door is disconnected.
PROCEDURE
To de-initialize the windows:

Close both doors.
Immediately push the window switch down 4 times within 10 seconds.
Check that the automatic one-touch is not working.
To initialize the power windows:

Connect a battery charger to the vehicle. You don't need this step
Close both doors and the soft top (or hardtop installed).
Raise windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Lower the windows 100 mm or approximately 4 inches.
Raise the windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Close the windows using the one-touch feature function and ensure that this works correctly.
Check the anti-trap function by inserting a plastic rod with a diameter greater than 6 mm in the left side window between the door window and the soft-top/hardtop and then close the window with the one touch function. If the function is OK, the anti-trap function will respond.
Repeat step 8 above for the right side window.
Clear the "scaling fault" stored in the General module.
Note: Any brief interruption in performing the above steps may require for the entire initialization procedure to be repeated.
This is the procedure described above in the FAQ/DIY section of this forum.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would
I have to do both windows at the same time? Its only the drivers side not working, Or it that part of the programming?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok done,

Phew glad thats over, I am still getting the "nothing" when I pull up on the button a few times, then all of a sudden its like there is power back to the windows and the switches work
Could be Im over cooking the motor with the up and down all the time? :dunno:

Took me a lot of presses to get it right but the windows both come up and down with one touch now :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts