BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some sap on my rear sail window and decided to try and clean it with an SOS pad, after cleaning it off, i realized that i put little swirls in the window, they arent too noticabke but i notice them, is there anything i can put on the glass to remove the swirls? The spot isnt very big at all, maybe a few inches by a few inches. Also , iwas gunna getmy windows tinted so would that make them even less noticable? Thanks for any help...

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
BimmersRule! said:
Any recommendations for sap removal?
Nope... I tried a variety of methods, and finally resorted to a razor blade :yikes: Thought I had done a good job, but no... :mad: scratches! I beleive they will buff out, but in the meanwhile, :banghead:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have used this tip before and it worked for me:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html

Tree Sap
Removing tree sap from a car's finish is a bit more difficult than removing tar or bird droppings. Incorrectly removing hardened sap can scratch your paint. I've found that by hand rubbing the sap spots with mineral spirits, I'm able to easily remove the sap without damaging the finish. Mineral spirits acts as a solvent to break up and dissolve the sap.

If there is a large amount of sap on the car, or if the sap has been left on the finish for an extended period of time, it can be a lot of work to remove. For these cases, I discovered that going over the affected areas with a light-duty rubbing compound removes the hardened surface of the sap spots. Then I can hit the sap with the mineral spirits to remove it. The light-duty rubbing compound softens the sap so the mineral spirits can do its job. The goal is to use the least pressure possible, to reduce the risk of scratching the paint. After removing heavy sap, I always buff the treated areas with a good polish to clean up any marks created during hand rubbing with solvent. The treated area must also be re-waxed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.