BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my windscreen replaced and I thought I would just post up some observations / feedback if anyone has to have the same...

Had it replaced by AutoGlass in the UK, installer knew what he was doing but hadn't had a 5 series before. He had done a GT and this needs a new trim piece during replacement apparently. F10/F11 do not.

They tried to fit a non OEM screen, I read my insurance terms and conditions carefully and my insurance company stipulate an OEM for cars under 3 years old. I suggest everyone does this as they appear to try and get away with it..So I made them order a new one which took 2 weeks. They originally turned up with the wrong screen. I have SLI but not Lane Departure. If you have SLI you need to state you have Lane Departure to get the correct screen.

Do not let them disconnect any wiring to the sensors or camera, they can need a dealer visit if they to re calibrate apparently, this is what I was told, everything was left hanging..

The screen can slip downwards slightly after fitting so ensure they tape the screen to the roof and don't remove for a few hours.

Remove scraped the paint under the screen but inside the seal. They primed these before refitting.

Ensure they are carful with the cheese wire when the cut the seals because the material on the airbags at the side of the screen marks easily. If they have to do it again I think I would ask them to tape the material to protect it.

Once fitted back carefully you can't see there has been any work done so all in all they did a good job.. Everything works fine but can't test the rain sensor because usually for Manchester it's not raining lol.

Hope that helps someone at some point.

:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hopefully I never need this information, but glad you posted with some of the things we need to watch out for during a replacement.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,672 Posts
Windshield replacement is no longer a trivial task. Hopefully most of us won't need to go through the ordeal. Thanks for the detail.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I always buy the FREE GLASS or ZERO deductible GLASS on any auto policy. Allowed by contract two windshields per year. Usually use 1 over 36 months.

I always tell my insurance agent, only OEM glass installed and, only at BMW dealer. Mercedes dealer for MB. Insurer always says, "fine set it up at the dealer and get it done. Or visit dealer service and they will get the ball rolling". With only a phone call from me to my ins agent, over 30+ years on the road in BMW, MB, AUDI, never an issue with OEM glass, YRMV

After arranging for the glass install at the dealer, on same or next day of expected install. If i drop the car off at the dealer in the morning or end of biz day, obtain free loaner for 24hrs, the glass is usually completed by mid to end of day of install.

Four prior 7er all had 1-2 glass replaced due to stones, road objects, etc.
Expecting 14 LCI 5er will have glass done in next two years.

OP thx for your story, good to hear all was resolved there in the UK!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.