BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a rock on the highway on Saturday. I didn't know exactly where it hit and didn't notice any star break, but . . . On Sunday it started a crack. The crack is growing quickly. :mad::mad: At least it started on the passenger side.

Has anyone had a windshield replaced? Was it expensive (don't remember is my insurance will cover it or not)? Was the seal on the new windshield as good as the original? How about the rain sensor. Did it work the same? grrr. :banghead: Anything else I should worry about?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Had mine replaced after plywood flew off a truck on the highway. In my state, its illegal to drive around with damaged windshield, so insurance picks up 100% of the tab, with no deductible for me. From what i remember, its was around $600, and it was a 3 hour job. I do not have rain sensor, but you do need to let them know you have one. And also, of course, demand OEM parts and that they replace the rubber seal, not reuse the old one

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
When i went in to get it replaced, the guys were kind enough to let me sit by and watch. They told me some stuff along the way, and he said one of the most important thing is that you replace the seal, or else you will have leakage. And when it was done, the guy gave me some cool glass cleaning stuff that im really hooked on:bigpimp:

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
I got a crack last year two days after I bought my 325i, Had 58 miles on it. :banghead: First I had it patched. I could still see the crack, so I had the dealer's body shop replace the windshield. It was a two day process. The new windshield is strapped to the frame overnight while the glue sets. I did not want to risk one of those cheap replacement places doing shoddy work. It ran a little under $1000 my insurance picked-up the tab, and 12 months later my rate went down.:confused: Plus I got a Z3 3.0 loaner for two days. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Hmm, you guys have a very different story than me.

These windshield do cost 1 grand about. But here is the catch those are not OEM.

I just got mine replaced last month actually. grand total 980 dollars, I said, well I dont want you glass I want the dealer the order the glass. Guess how much OEM glass, + seal, + special slicone crap sealant.. 250 dollars.

If you pay much over 250 for a brand new windshield + parts, your getting ripped. I ordered mine from the BMW dealer.

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
dredmo said:
Hmm, you guys have a very different story than me.

These windshield do cost 1 grand about.

If you pay much over 250 for a brand new windshield + parts, your getting ripped. I ordered mine from the BMW dealer.
Huh?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Thats kinda funny, the non OEM is more than the BMW OEM

Well, that figure sounds reasonable. Your $250 quote + $240 labor is $490, plus tax of course. So it seems my guys added about a $100 mark up. I have no problem with that. They did a great job and were nice guys. I also ordered it personally from my BMW dealer, and I had to wait a few days for it to come in

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
I don't own the car anymore, but the glass itself was 279.65 it was oem I have the part number and did check the installation. The parts were about 100 and the rest was labor, tax, and an EPA fee. All work was completed by/at the dealer. I hardly feel my insurance company was ripped-off.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got ahold of my insurance agent this morning. He said he would check into it and I have yet to hear back from him. Humph. If I wasn't moving, I would start looking for a new insurance agent.

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
I just had mine replace. If you are paying out of your pocket it will be around $500, if you are going thru insurance it will be $700. The glass people will use a different quote system to charge you or your ins. company.

Yes, OEM is a little cheaper than non-OEM, I had 2 quotes. You/they cannot reuse the rubber seal (according from my installer, there is a thin aluminmum strip under it.), so you need new seal each time.

Just go thru insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage you will have to pay the deductable that is all.

I've call my local dealer and the best BMW bodyshop to ask who they use.

Don't worry, if they done BMW's before most will do a good job, since they know how to take all the stuff apart to get to it.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
pt00323i said:
I just had mine replace. If you are paying out of your pocket it will be around $500, if you are going thru insurance it will be $700. The glass people will use a different quote system to charge you or your ins. company.

Yes, OEM is a little cheaper than non-OEM, I had 2 quotes. You/they cannot reuse the rubber seal (according from my installer, there is a thin aluminmum strip under it.), so you need new seal each time.

Just go thru insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage you will have to pay the deductable that is all.

I've call my local dealer and the best BMW bodyshop to ask who they use.

Don't worry, if they done BMW's before most will do a good job, since they know how to take all the stuff apart to get to it.
The OEM glass is crap. It's as soft as putty, and it pits (badly) with normal use after 30K or so miles. The shop that replaced my windshield used non-OEM, and I'm hoping it holds up better (like a good old 'murican car).

Of course, I also have a wind whistle, so it's back to the shop this weekend.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a quote this morning from one of the best body shops in the city - about $400 using oem equipment. I don't think that included the seals b/c I forgot to tell them that was a requirement until after the quote was printed, but he said it would add something like $30. Much less than I anticipated. Seems like it's not worth making an insurance claim for.

My crack is growing though - quickly. :bawling:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts