BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my garage queen out for a spin this evening (clear and cold +19f)

After the car warmed up I put on the defroster and SNAP, a crack formed 3" up from side to side!!!

:mad:

THere was no prior damage. I will call service and see about warranty repair. I also have a good insurance policy that should provide coverage for this.

Anyone else expereinece this??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Doesn't get cold enough where I live for this to happen, but you should be able to have this replaced under warranty. From your description, the crack formed low on the windshield (near the hot air from the defrost vents), right? As long as there aren't any chips or signs of impact that caused the crack, you should be fine. If BMW won't cover it, you could go through insurance but that might not help much depending on your deductable. Good luck,

Andy

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't pay much more than $500 for a new window. My E46 did the same thing 2 years ago. And yes my car has the rain sensor and other garbage that makes the window cost more. It cracked coming out of a 55F garage to -15F just like yours. The dealership said it had a rock chip on it that started the crack :( all the way across. I believe, I was initially quoted $700+ and then easily got it down to about $500 plus tax with a BMW OEM window (it was less than $600 total).

I got a lower price by calling an independent installer for a price and he gave me the about $500 price. He then said he will be the same installer if I do it through him or through any of the local BMW dealerships. I could deal with him directly or through a dealership because he gets paid the same. So I went with the local BMW dealership and got the lower price.

My deductible is $1000, so insurance was not going to help. I did ask them. I guess in Mass. it is a different story with insurance from that state.

Remember to use your BMWCCA 10% parts discount.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't pay much more than $500 for a new window. My E46 did the same thing 2 years ago. And yes my car has the rain sensor and other garbage that makes the window cost more. It cracked coming out of a 55F garage to -15F just like yours. The dealership said it had a rock chip on it that started the crack :( all the way across. I believe, I was initially quoted $700+ and then easily got it down to about $500 plus tax with a BMW OEM window (it was less than $600 total).

I got a lower price by calling an independent installer for a price and he gave me the about $500 price. He then said he will be the same installer if I do it through him or through any of the local BMW dealerships. I could deal with him directly or through a dealership because he gets paid the same. So I went with the local BMW dealership and got the lower price.

My deductible is $1000, so insurance was not going to help. I did ask them. I guess in Massachusetts it is a different story with insurance from that state.

Remember to use your BMWCCA 10% parts discount.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I am lucky enough to have a State Farm Policy with $o deductable on glass replacement, I'm only worried about the OEM part. I have the Rain Sensor as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually I am lucky enough to have a State Farm Policy with $o deductable on glass replacement, I'm only worried about the OEM part. I have the Rain Sensor as well.
You are covered however you look at it. Go to the dealership and see what they want to do for you. Just make sure you get an OEM windshield and have the rain sensor initialized after the repair. If the rain sensor does not get re-calibrated, the auto wiper feature might not work properly. Just something to make sure they do; most of the time this does not get done as glass shops do not have BMW diagnostic equipment.

Andy

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dont' take it to the stealer, they never do the windshields there, they always send them out to professional glass shops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts