BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Windshield fluid pump not working

124195 Views 33 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  sixpot_simon
As the subject states, my windshield fluid pump is not working. I don't know if it's a fuse issue or something more. When I press the stick to squirt some washer fluid on my windshield, nothing happens. After a few seconds, the sprayers in front of my headlights spray, but nothing out of the hood nozzles. I don't even hear the pump. Had a friend hit the lever while I had the hood open and nothing happened. Fluid level is topped off.

Where is the fuse for this pump located? Also, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
The fuses for the windshield washer are in the top of the glove box. Open the glove box, remove the flashlight (if yours is still there), find the two white plastic release screws on the top of the glove box, turn each 90 deg, the fuse block will drop down (pretty cool actually). The fuses you want to check are #2 and #4. Both are likely fine and you will be going into the right front wheel well for pump replacement.
Tips on repairing the windshield sprayer pump

I removed the screws, plugs and rivets to allow the passenger side front wheel well shield to be bent back giving access to the washer fluid reservoir and pumps. The picture below shows the reservior and pumps.
Vehicle Auto part Car City car

If your E39 has headlight washers, there will be two pumps mounted on the side of the reservoir. The one closest to the middle is the main windshield pump. The one closest to the outside is for the headlights. My main pump was frozen. The second photo (below) shows the replacement pump, the new grommet with filter, and the two types of plugs and rivets needed to restore the wheel well shield.
Auto part

Tips:
  • When removing the wheel well dirt shield, pry out the plastic plug at the bottom and closest to the center of the car. If it is a modern plug as pictured above, the smaller section of the top will side out when you pry on it. This will release the plug.
  • The small plastic rivets on the fender lip have a center post which is pressed in when installed which cause the rivet to expand behind the sheet metal. You may be able to bend the shield out once all the screws are removed and press the "post" out of the rivets from behind allowing reuse. I just broke them off and installed new ones. A pry tool like a carpet tack remover is very helpful in removing the rivets and the plug.
  • You need to lift the tab on the electrical connectors to release. They release easily once the tab is gently lifted.
  • All pumps and sensors are attached to the reservoir through rubber grommets. They all pull straight out with a little wiggling.
Hope this helps.
CL
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.