BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

In British Columbia, Canada, we all go to the glass shop to replace the windshield or any windows. Dealers don't do this kind of job.
I assume that the glass shops do know how to do this properly.. with the room mirrors with rain sensor and camera, etc..

But, is there any clear way to find out the windshield is OE?

Thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had my X5's chipped windshield replaced at the dealer.Dealer called in the third party installer(B&D autobody vancouver) and supplied the BMW saint Gobain windshield and the work was done at the dealership.The claim was handled by ICBC with $200 deductible.Total cost to insurance company was more than $1000.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
There's lots of information about installing windshields on this forum. Do a search ...

But to summarize: the absolute most critical aspect of windshield installation is using the correct adhesive and installation procedure. Most 3rd party shops use a quick setting adhesive, like a two part epoxy, or something similar. It allows them to offer "one day" service, which customers like! After all, the windshield is in place and it doesn't move, so all must be good ...

BMW's method is exactly the opposite: their in-house procedure calls for a minimum of 48 hours cure time, using a (proprietary) slow curing urethane adhesive, that remains pliable and compliant during the installation.

All BMW windshields are originally installed in the factory using a (poly)urethane adhesive. Unless the old adhesive is completely removed and the frame is cleaned down to the bare metal, any other adhesive, like an epoxy, is simply not compatible with any original urethane remnants left and the result is inferior adhesion. The installer must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards FMVSS 212 & 216 (the performance standards for windshield retention and roof support).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.