BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions re:windshield replacement. I have never had to do this in my life, but fate has finally caught up with me.

1) Would you have dealer do it or have Safelite do it? Safelite uses OEM parts for my car.

2) Should I get the same windshield I have, or import the Climate Comfort windshield from Europe (about same price)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had mine replaced by Safelite. They did a very good and professional job, they took their time and made sure everything was right. They even cleaned the interior of my car as a courtesy. I got the exact same windshield I had before the crack, non-hud which was the climate comfort winshield.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had mine replaced by Safelite. They did a very good and professional job, they took their time and made sure everything was right. They even cleaned the interior of my car as a courtesy. I got the exact same windshield I had before the crack, non-hud which was the climate comfort winshield.
I didn't know the climate comfort windshield was equipped on US cars. According to the BMW US parts website they do not offer it on US F10 models. Maybe you should check the part number...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Even though I have used them satisfactorily on other cars I'd say don't go to SAFELITE. When my insurance company steered me towards SAFELITE to replace the windshield on my F10 I went to their shop and talked to the manager. They would use OEM parts, but not necessarily BMW parts whatever that means. They would have me drive the car to their shop rather than doing it in the field in order to get a "better job". SAFELITE said I'd be done in 90 minutes at which time I should wait 24 hours "before I go through a car wash". The BMW dealer said they will keep the car in their shop for 24 hours at proper ambient temperature so that the windshield does not move while the sealant cures. SAFELITE said no alignment or initialization of the components attached to the windshield is necessary. The BMW dealer said they would have to align and initialize the components.

SAFELITE would do the job for $850 and the BMW dealer did it for $1425 and gave me a loaner for two days. I don't have a HUD. The BMW dealer did it in-house although another BMW dealer I contacted would have it done by someone else using BMW OEM parts. My insurance company gave me approval to have it done at the BMW dealer. Incidentally, as soon as I mentioned glass when I called the insurance company, I was transferred to a SAFELITE agent who pretends they are working for the insurance company. I had to go thru a hoop or two to talk to an actual employee of my insurance company (METLife).

FWIW, my BMW dealer says they have had to repair electronics under the dash after they were ruined by a botched SAFELITE job.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts
I have some questions re:windshield replacement. I have never had to do this in my life, but fate has finally caught up with me.

1) Would you have dealer do it or have Safelite do it? Safelite uses OEM parts for my car.

2) Should I get the same windshield I have, or import the Climate Comfort windshield from Europe (about same price)?
Stealth I can help you since we are both in South Florida. I have had this happen to me twice in two years. Once on the 2011 535 and just a month ago on the 2013 M3. I used Safelight in West Palm Beach because they have a technician there that has been doing this for 25 years and his work is absolutely perfect. I found him because they told me that this was the guy they send to do all of the expensive cars and he has told me war stories about replacing 3 grand windshields on exotics. I do not want to post names of the contacts at that Safelight office here in the open, but if you are interested in the contact I have used and the tech that I used send me a PM and I will forward all of the information to you. I think they will still come to your house in Miami (or your office if you prefer) even though they are out of West Palm. Also, Safelight ordered me an OEM windshield directly from Braman and I have not had any problems with proper fit and finish. I have heard bad things about Safelight and that is why I am suggesting that you only use my contact and my technician so that the right windshield is ordered and it is installed properly with no damage to your car. Both my M3 and the 535 are/were black and the jobs were completed with zero damage to either car.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stealth I can help you since we are both in South Florida. I have had this happen to me twice in two years. Once on the 2011 535 and just a month ago on the 2013 M3. I used Safelight in West Palm Beach because they have a technician there that has been doing this for 25 years and his work is absolutely perfect. I found him because they told me that this was the guy they send to do all of the expensive cars and he has told me war stories about replacing 3 grand windshields on exotics. I do not want to post names of the contacts at that Safelight office here in the open, but if you are interested in the contact I have used and the tech that I used send me a PM and I will forward all of the information to you. I think they will still come to your house in Miami (or your office if you prefer) even though they are out of West Palm. Also, Safelight ordered me an OEM windshield directly from Braman and I have not had any problems with proper fit and finish. I have heard bad things about Safelight and that is why I am suggesting that you only use my contact and my technician so that the right windshield is ordered and it is installed properly with no damage to your car. Both my M3 and the 535 are/were black and the jobs were completed with zero damage to either car.
Thanks for the tip however my M5 is in Atlanta not in Miami.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'm going through this ordeal right now. Avoid SafeLite at all costs. There seems to be third-party makers making HUD-compatible windshields right now. My rain sensor doesn't work on my car. Going through all hoops to get it replaced (again.)

I'd highly suggest you ask around and find the best glass place you can and try to get an OEM BMW part. Insurance will try to pay for the aftermarket, but you have the HUD/Rain sensor. A non-OEM piece of glass will not work 100%.

I'm not sure your insurance would allow you to get the Comfort Screen though. Even then, you'd have to source a LHD-one with the HUD support. What if something happens during installation? Going to have a wait a long time to import another one.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had my windshield replaced the first week I got my F10. I used a local glass company, the glass was Pilkington, without the BMW logo, but is labeled as "solar", and does seem to reject heat better than the factory glass. Is this the Euro climate comfort windshield?

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my windshield replaced the first week I got my F10. I used a local glass company, the glass was Pilkington, without the BMW logo, but is labeled as "solar", and does seem to reject heat better than the factory glass. Is this the Euro climate comfort windshield?
Do you have weird glare issues with cars equipped with HID headlamps?

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm going through this ordeal right now. Avoid SafeLite at all costs. There seems to be third-party makers making HUD-compatible windshields right now. My rain sensor doesn't work on my car. Going through all hoops to get it replaced (again.)

I'd highly suggest you ask around and find the best glass place you can and try to get an OEM BMW part. Insurance will try to pay for the aftermarket, but you have the HUD/Rain sensor. A non-OEM piece of glass will not work 100%.

I'm not sure your insurance would allow you to get the Comfort Screen though. Even then, you'd have to source a LHD-one with the HUD support. What if something happens during installation? Going to have a wait a long time to import another one.
Thanks. Do you think I should go to an independent glass shop or the BMW dealer?

Not worried about insurance. I am paying myself since I have a 1k deductible.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks. Do you think I should go to an independent glass shop or the BMW dealer?

Wife had a rock chip and we had optional insurance coverage through PermaPlate (easier than messing with car insurance). They paid to have SafeLite come out and fix the chip. Sure enough as the tech was taking the equipment off the chip cracked across the windshield.

Long story short I refused to let SafeLite replace the windshield. We got them to have the dealer replace (still uses a 3rd party but someone they work with exclusively). They were quoting around $1500 or so for a '14 F15. I have heard too many issues regarding proper OEM replacement parts, issues with the rain/AHB sensors, and issues with not replacing the seal or using the OEM seal kit.

I have heard a number of good stories about SafeLite, however, the bad outweigh these IMO.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have unfortunately had two occasions to replace the windshield on my 2011 535i x-drive, and I was steered away from Safelite. They do a good job, but often foul up the rain detection sensors and any other BMW-specific features which might attach to the windshield. I used the dealer with BMW accepted OEM glass both times, and the work was done by their glass contractor under the supervision of a BMW technician, who installed the new rain sensors.

The surprise is that it was actually less expensive for the dealer to do it right than for Safelite to do it and risk future problems. My insurance agent was also surprised.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Dealers don't do the glass work.......they sub it out to someone and mark up the price to you.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Thanks. Do you think I should go to an independent glass shop or the BMW dealer?.
I guess it depends... Ask your SA who they recommend for replacement. My local dealer does glass replacements in-house, so I'm in the process of getting my aftermarket one swapped out for an OEM part.

And $1k deductible? wow.

Mine is $50 for Comprehensive/$200 for Collision.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Often times, its not which glass replacement company you use, it is which technician you use. BMW dealers work on BMW all the time, so they are more familiar with the trims and the sensors that goes with the windshield. One way to save a few bucks is to ask the dealer who they sub their glass work to and skip the middle man. BMW windshields are made by Pilkington or saint-gobain sekurit, so either one of those OEM glass is a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Depends on the dealer. Most of the larger BMW dealers in my area have their own collision centers that have glass guys in-house.
In Atlanta $1200 quote from my dealer ...... $400 in my driveway by an indy using Pilkington glass ..... all good.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
In Atlanta $1200 quote from my dealer ...... $400 in my driveway by an indy using Pilkington glass ..... all good.
Lucky for you. Insurance covered a Pilkington replacement for my X5 via an indy. My rain sensor still doesn't work after going to the dealer to reset/troubleshoot. Currently in contact with my agent to get it swapped out for a BMW-branded replacement via my dealer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.