BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new M550i (12/31) and saw what I thought was dirt on the windshield. After repeated attempts to clean it I have determined that it is a long scratch on the inside. I can feel the "bump" if I drag my finger nail over it.

So have any of you folks had experience with this? The only solution that I see, assuming that the dealer offers it, is to replace the windshield. Given that the rear view mirror and cameras etc are mounted to the windshield, is I wiser to leave it alone than risk the potential complications of replacing it?

Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You are correct that it is a big deal to replace a 5 series windshield. A much bigger deal if you also have a HUD.

Did you identify the problem to the dealership when you picked up the car? Will there be any question that it is a defect and not something you did? If the scratch is way over in the right corner of the windshield, then I would not worry about it. But if it is anything near your sightline, and assuming that you can get it covered under warranty, I would have the dealership replace it. If it is a warranty item, you know you will get factory glass; if you have to do it later under your comprehensive policy, you might be in for a fight to get factory glass and, especially if you have a HUD, that is important.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have HUD. I am sure that I did not do it. I did not identify it on delivery and it wasn't until I tried numerous times to clean that I finally determined that it was a scratch. I have never had anything in the car that could have scratched glass. The scratch is in the right middle so it is not in my direct sightline, but I notice it constantly. (maybe because I now know it is there)

I have not yet spoken to the dealer, I wanted your opinion first. Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I do have HUD. I am sure that I did not do it. I did not identify it on delivery and it wasn't until I tried numerous times to clean that I finally determined that it was a scratch. I have never had anything in the car that could have scratched glass. The scratch is in the right middle so it is not in my direct sightline, but I notice it constantly. (maybe because I now know it is there)

I have not yet spoken to the dealer, I wanted your opinion first. Thanks
I never for a second thought you had done it. I just was looking to see if you would get a hassle from the dealership/BMW.

If you notice it constantly, then by my definition it is in your sightline and you should IMHO replace it.

You have a new car and you want a clear windshield and you are entitled to it. This is not a Yugo, it is a BMW!

·
Registered
163 Posts
FWIW, I would hate to have the windshield on a brand new 5 series replaced. That said, I had it done twice with our 2014 535d. Both times a rock the size of a golf ball hit the windshield and broke the glass. Both times my insurance paid for the new windshield (~$1,600 each time.) I had the dealer do the work, and was very pleased with the results both times. I had HUD, auto wipers of course, and the camera that controlled the auto-headlamps.

So it can be done successfully. Hopefully that will assist you in your risk assessment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You are correct that it is a big deal to replace a 5 series windshield. A much bigger deal if you also have a HUD.

Did you identify the problem to the dealership when you picked up the car? Will there be any question that it is a defect and not something you did? If the scratch is way over in the right corner of the windshield, then I would not worry about it. But if it is anything near your sightline, and assuming that you can get it covered under warranty, I would have the dealership replace it. If it is a warranty item, you know you will get factory glass; if you have to do it later under your comprehensive policy, you might be in for a fight to get factory glass and, especially if you have a HUD, that is important.
We own an exotic, and when it needed a new windshield ($5500) due to a crack, my insurance co advised that all their glass repairs are handled through Safe Lite. Talked to a nice lady there and she couldn't even find the car in her data base. But she did advise that in California, the law says you may have the car repaired at your choice of repair shops. Best to check the laws in your state. I certainly would want this repaired, and for sure with OEM glass.

Good luck!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I picked up my new M550i (12/31) and saw what I thought was dirt on the windshield. After repeated attempts to clean it I have determined that it is a long scratch on the inside. I can feel the "bump" if I drag my finger nail over it.

So have any of you folks had experience with this? The only solution that I see, assuming that the dealer offers it, is to replace the windshield. Given that the rear view mirror and cameras etc are mounted to the windshield, is I wiser to leave it alone than risk the potential complications of replacing it?

Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated.

My last two BMWs had windshield issues. My wife’s 2017 X3 had a small bubble at delivery and we had the dealer replacement it.

Last August I took delivery of a 2019 G30. We found what looked like a small scratch on the windshield that wouldn’t come out. I sought advice from other members of this forum and I then cut a deal with the dealer. I got an IOU for a new windshield which I can trigger any time during my lease.

I just can’t understand why my last two deliveries had windshield defects.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Windshield replacement for an M550i is $2200-$2600. I just replaced mine in October due to a stone crack and it just got cracked again yesterday. Thankfully I have windshield coverage with my insurance company.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
Windshield replacement for an M550i is $2200-$2600. I just replaced mine in October due to a stone crack and it just got cracked again yesterday. Thankfully I have windshield coverage with my insurance company.
Isn't a windshield covered under the normal comprehensive section of the policy? How many BMW owners forego that coverage to save a few bucks? I think I currently have $250 comprehensive deductible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We used our comprehensive insurance to replace the windshield on our 16' and then a year or so later used insurance plan we bought from the dealer to repair a chip. The dealer insurance we have would not replace a windshield just repair. Dealership replaced our windshield and we have had no problems for 2 years but there is a leak now happening in the drivers side floor that we are having trouble tracking down. This car will be returned end of May so may not spend too much time fretting over the leak.
Good luck,
Brinson Webb

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Isn't a windshield covered under the normal comprehensive section of the policy? How many BMW owners forego that coverage to save a few bucks? I think I currently have $250 comprehensive deductible.
I meant to type that I have a dedicated windshield coverage which is called "windshield buyback" and costs $24/year. The deductible is reduced to just $100 instead of the $500 deductible that I have on my comprehensive policy. They let allowed me to take it to a BMW dealer and I paid the entire bill, got a loaner and Farmers reimbursed me within 2 days of submitting the paid receipt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick follow up. My dealer said it had to be looked at by the BMW rep and today I met with him and he agreed that it was a scratch and he would arrange to have the windshield replaced. I don't like the idea of replacing a windshield with all the attendant technology that is attached, but it is best and only good solution. Hats off to my dealer and to the "After Sales Area Manager"

BTW I have now had my M550i for three months, wow what a car!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Just a quick follow up. My dealer said it had to be looked at by the BMW rep and today I met with him and he agreed that it was a scratch and he would arrange to have the windshield replaced. I don't like the idea of replacing a windshield with all the attendant technology that is attached, but it is best and only good solution. Hats off to my dealer and to the "After Sales Area Manager"

I hear you. I got a chip in my windshield in front of the driver just to the right of and below the HUD display. I could have replaced the windshield but opted instead for a repair for exactly the reason you stated.

The chip is still visible so I expect that at some time I will need to replace the windshield. But I have all the safety features including the front facing cameras, a nightvision camera, and a HUD, all either displaying on the windshield or working through it. So I intend to put it off as long as I can.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
W/S replacement

:thumbup:

Glad that worked out for you - a competent install by BMW ... with OEM glass should go painlessly. And with the attention you've gotten I'm sure they will be watching that it is done carefully :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,476 Posts
:thumbup:

Glad that worked out for you - a competent install by BMW ... with OEM glass should go painlessly. And with the attention you've gotten I'm sure they will be watching that it is done carefully :beerchug:
Just had my G12 windshield replaced at dealer (crack in lower left corner about 4 or 5 inches long). No issues. I have full glass coverage so insurance (Chubb) covered 100%. Insurance adjuster on phone made it clear that if the windshield was not replaced at the dealer, that recalibration of several cameras would be necessary. All seems fine now a week water.

If it is done properly it is not a problem. Just be prepared to wait a couple of days because if done properly, the car must sit quietly for a day to allow the adhesive to set properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts