BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Windshield Washer PUMP (to squirt fluid on the glass).
I have checked all hoses and fuses, all good.
So the PUMP is out of action, not bad for 14 yr/120K service life.

I may end up going to the dealer for this but my the question is:

- Do you guys use the brand at Autozone, Advance Autoparts etc.? Any issues with Windshield Washer PUMP from places like Autozone, Advance Autoparts?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Being a non-critical part, I would normally go with anything that fits, with cheaper being better. With the VDO going for around $20, any savings is minimal. Hence, stay with OEM and enjoy another 12 years of driving! :drive:

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
It's only a non-critical part in the same way that the brake hoses are non-critical. If it fails when you really need it, you're SOL. Especially anywhere it snows.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fudman for the advice.
I just ordered VDO for $22.

BTW, as much as we tend to think this is a non-critical part, many years ago I was almost involved in an accident when my Honda washer motor went out in the middle of snow/sludge/muddy weather. It was scary to drive with a super-dirty windshield glass!
So for me the washer PUMP is a critical item!

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Agree, the washer pump is critical! My wording was sloppy as i should have said "For a non-critical part..."

30 years ago, I was in Alaska and rented an old Le Car from Rent A Wreck. I din't find out the windshield washer didn't work until rain started to fall on the the dirt road and the cars in front kept flinging mud and crap onto my windshield. I barely survived that experience! :yikes:

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
A second winter is coming, and I still haven't found my round tuit to fix 'my' windshield washer system so I was going over the potential culprits in my mind:
- Pre-winter inspection of my 2002 windshield washer system

However, I will add this thread to the bestlinks so that others may find it more easily in the future:
- Where to get OEM VDO/Conti windshield washer pumps (1) (2)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just got a Febi from Pelican Parts and installed last week. Start to finish probably took 20 minutes, and cost me $14.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.