Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2006 BMW 7 Series (E65 model) and it has developed a problem where no water comes out at the wipers when I pull the wiper switch. The pump motor makes a noise when I pull it, so I don't think it's that, its also topped up with water and the front light washers spray water onto the headlights fine.

A few weeks ago the right hand one only squirted a bit of water out so I thought it was getting blocked, and now both have stopped squirting any water.

Can anyone post a few pics of how I can try unblocking the tube that connects the washer reservoir to the wipers?

Many thanks in advance.
Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea, yes I tried put pin in the end of one of nozzles to unblock it from there. Unfortunately that didn't help. Do you have any idea how to unclip the hose and try and unblock it from the other end? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've disconnected the washer pipe where it connects into the wiper blade under the cover that you've removed - there's little grey clips that just pull down slightly to release it. I then squirted pressurised air through both parts of the tube to clear - and I could see the water level of the filler tank rise as I did this - so I know there's no block from the reservoir to the pipe. The pump sounds like its trying to work - does two motorised hums and then two more. Could it be the pump? and if so are they expensive to replace? I would have to pay someone to do it, and don't know how fiddly it is?

Thanks for any comments.

Rich

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've disconnected the washer pipe where it connects into the wiper blade under the cover that you've removed - there's little grey clips that just pull down slightly to release it. I then squirted pressurised air through both parts of the tube to clear - and I could see the water level of the filler tank rise as I did this - so I know there's no block from the reservoir to the pipe. The pump sounds like its trying to work - does two motorised hums and then two more. Could it be the pump? and if so are they expensive to replace? I would have to pay someone to do it, and don't know how fiddly it is?

Thanks for any comments.

Rich
Hi Rich,
My 2006 750Li has same problem. I did the same thing, pump air into the tube to clear, but still not working. I left the connection open and try to turn on the pump, but no fluid came out. So not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same issue on my 7 and 5 series e39, I also drive a 730d Sport.

Easy fix really. The problem here is not your hoses or motors but small mesh type filter on the end of the motors which sit in the reservoir. To access them you need to take off the passenger side wheel off (UK driver so left hand side), once off undo the plastic rivets and 4 or 5 screw nuts towards the front of the inner arch lining, the reservoir sits just behind the lining. Here you will see 2 pumps, one for the lights and the other for the wind screen. Pull them out and you will see the end of the motors covered in gunk, pull off the mesh filters (clip off) and give them a clean with an old tooth brush. Then drain all the water out of the reservoir, I used a hose pipe with a tiny bit of pressure to ensure all old water was flushed out. What you will notice is gunk leaving the tank as this will be a build up of hard water and screen wash fluid residue. Remember this reservoir will have stagnant water sitting for a long time as water will only get used if the screen needs cleaning. Once cleaned clip the filters back on and place motors in the original position, top up with water and flick on the windscreen washers. Remember to replace the lining also.

The above worked a treat, no extra costs needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same issue on my 7 and 5 series e39, I also drive a 730d Sport.

Easy fix really. The problem here is not your hoses or motors but small mesh type filter on the end of the motors which sit in the reservoir. To access them you need to take off the passenger side wheel off (UK driver so left hand side), once off undo the plastic rivets and 4 or 5 screw nuts towards the front of the inner arch lining, the reservoir sits just behind the lining. Here you will see 2 pumps, one for the lights and the other for the wind screen. Pull them out and you will see the end of the motors covered in gunk, pull off the mesh filters (clip off) and give them a clean with an old tooth brush. Then drain all the water out of the reservoir, I used a hose pipe with a tiny bit of pressure to ensure all old water was flushed out. What you will notice is gunk leaving the tank as this will be a build up of hard water and screen wash fluid residue. Remember this reservoir will have stagnant water sitting for a long time as water will only get used if the screen needs cleaning. Once cleaned clip the filters back on and place motors in the original position, top up with water and flick on the windscreen washers. Remember to replace the lining also.

The above worked a treat, no extra costs needed.

Cleaned it and it's working now following the above instruction. for US car, the tank is on the driver side, behind the bumper.
Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been looking online, trying to find that piece that has the two hose coming out. its mounted on the lower part of the wiper. The wiper fluid line broke.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Washer fluid reservoir

Cleaned it and it's working now following the above instruction. for US car, the tank is on the driver side, behind the bumper.
Thank you.
Hello, when u removed washer fluid pump, how did u cleaned the reservoir? Does water comes out alone? I see the two pumps, one for the headlamps and the pther smaller for the windshield, but I dont know how to pull them off...and how to flush the reservoir? Did u use some liquid to flush it?

Tnx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts