BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking from some guidance...Karl Bimmer's windshield wiper fluid reservoir seems to have an apparent slow leak :dunno: :tsk:

When I've taken my car in for service, the reservoir is filled up, and doesn't leak :mad: over the 2-5 hours that the service person has it. It's just the next morning that the indicator comes on showing that the fluid is low; when I open the hood, yep, it's low, with the telltale puddle underneath.

In order to remedy this small annoyance - what do folks suggest?

(a) leaving my car for 2 days with the mechanic :bawling:

(b) just going ahead and replacing the thing :mad:

If someone could point me to where I could look, or some other sources, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
10,856 Posts
...leave your bimmer with the service advisor.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
A tech should be able to remove it and test it for a leak like they would with a tire.

Submerge it in a tank of water and look for the air bubbles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same problem like you had. I replaced the Reservoir (which cost 59 bux included tax) and thought I fixed the problem. But actually it was not, after a few used of a spray and it leaked again. I found out, it was the rubber seal filter from the bump that cause the problem. So if your car still under warranty, tell the mechanic to use replace the rubber seal from the bump. Hope this help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a slow leak in the windsheild wiper reservoir, which just started. I fill it up then 5/6 days latter it's bone dry (been using the same fluid for years and same routine so it's a leak).:dunno: I can't/don't see an residue from the blue windsheild wiper fluid. If I remove the reservoir I could test it for leaks and/or maybe I can see where the leak is.

Does anyone know how to remove the windsheild wiper reservoir? I found the top screw. One thing I have notice when it comes to BMW and working with Germans they have very unique way of doing things so I know the reservoir is probably easy to remove but I just need someone to guide me by telling me what the next step are in removing it. :confused:

I got a late start when it comes to working on cars so I'm not that experienced. My hubby is no help cause he says take it the shop :wahwah:, but that's no fun!! I like the challenge

fyi.. I bought my car new in 2001. It's a 330i and she is beautiful w/ 80k freeway miles (no stop and go traffic.. I commute against traffic). No major repairs. Just replaced the window regulators on 2/4 windows and 3rd one needs done. Only items that probably stikes against my baby is she sits for 3-4 days and/or 3 months at a time. I love my BMW. She rocks!!! :drive:

Cheers - xgoofy

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Do the washers spray at all? Its probably a grommet seal at the bottom of your reservoir. Your pump could be bad, too, but this is a common problem with BMWs and a cheap, easy fix. You can order the parts from: www.autohausaz.com

Heres a DIY to fix the pump/seal:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114615

At max, it shouldnt cost more than $30, including shipping. Do you seriously want to pay a mechanic $80+/hr? Anyone can do this simple procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks.. Yes you were right it was the pump. :thumbup:

I stopped by Peter Pan BMW who agreed it's probably the windshield sprayer pump. They showed me the bottle (outside the car) which gave me a better understanding of how the pieces all fit to together. They also provided me print out of a diagram of all the parts.

When I got home.. I moved the bottle just to enough and removed the cover on the windshield sprayer pump to check the pump. I could see the leak. I drove 30 miles to Peter Pan BMW (past the BMW of Stevens Creek and Moutain View) to get the pump.

The pump took less than 30min. to install (I took my time). :angel:

I got the pump and grommet from BMW for under $60 and they told me how to replace it. They also recommended the Chilton's 3rd party service manual vs the BMW. The guys at Peter Pan BMW they rock!! They answered the phone; they even told me how to install it - what more could a girl ask for. :beerchug:

Just for the record - Stevens Creek BMW and BMW of Mountain View don't believe in selling parts to girls.:mad: They both just transferred me to service (repeatedly) when I asked for the service dept. Then I asked for the service dept only to be shuffled around somemore back to the service dept. :banghead: I finally got totally frustrated so I went to their website then filled out the form asking if the part was in stock (originally thought it was the bottle so in my description I as asked if they had the windshield wiper reservoir bottle in stock and did not describe my problem). They responded to my email and left me a voice mail asking me - when I wanted the car serviced. What part of the question did they not get.. I need this part for a 2001 330i?? :asshole:

I'm in the process of buying a mini (haven't placed my orider yet).. I guess I won't be buying it from BMW/Mini of Mountain View. :neener: The next closes mini dealer is in San Francisco so I guess they will be getting my business.:drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice on getting the parts on-line. :thumbup: Next time I will to save myself a couple of buys and hastle of dealing with the local BMW dealers cause driving to 30 miles in traffic really did bite. However they guys at the dealership made it worth it cause they were so helpful. :angel:

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
No prob. glad you got it worked out! BTW - you are the first person to say something positive about Peter Pan BMW. Usually their service is abysmal.. maybe they've undergone employee cleaning. Still, I laugh at the thought of taking my car to a place named after a disney character and a brand of peanut butter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
FYI anyone searching for this problem/symptom Autozone has the exact same pump for 13.99

Even my stealer only wanted 30 bucks. The leak is nothing to take lightly, if you, like me sleep over your car/garage keep in mind how flammable this stuff, winter mix particularly is.

Don't delay fixing this, or at least let it stay empty.........

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
FYI anyone searching for this problem/symptom Autozone has the exact same pump for 13.99

Even my stealer only wanted 30 bucks. The leak is nothing to take lightly, if you, like me sleep over your car/garage keep in mind how flammable this stuff, winter mix particularly is.

Don't delay fixing this, or at least let it stay empty.........
I tend to not drive through fire, so its all good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
You are kidding right?

The leak will be in contact with material on your car hot enough to ignite, also most garages will have an ignition source of some kind when your dealing with a fluid of this volatility.

If you were kidding no problem. But for those who may not be mechanically inclined and putting this off, the aircraft mechanic in me comes out, screaming , this is something you need to either render safe by emptying or using water or fix it for 14 bucks.

The home I just bought has a gas hot water heater mounted on the basement floor, a ready source of ignition. One of the first things I did was elevate it as the new code dictates, accidents happen. wouldn't you know it 5 or so months later my reservoir leaked. Week later my snow blower had its throttle somehow moved not by me, the result was a tank of fuel on the garage floor. Thankfully I had my snow blower and mower on steel trays that contained the leak. I shudder to think what might have happened.

If you have any doubts....... look below

http://gprime.net/video.php/supersoakerflamethrower

1 - 12 of 12 Posts