BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Caveman
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen the funky-looking windshield wipers? I saw them in the "celebrate the 3" event. I wonder why they designed the wipers like that.

Sorry I didn't take any picture that night...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
sk330i said:
Has anybody seen the funky-looking windshield wipers? I saw them in the "celebrate the 3" event. I wonder why they designed the wipers like that.

Sorry I didn't take any picture that night...
I was at the car show Saturday morning and I noticed them too. Later in the day I noticed them on lots of other cars - Volkswagen and Audi? Acura, maybe? I don't really recall. Looks like this may be the design of the near future. They're lighter and consist of less parts

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
shabbaman said:
I was at the car show Saturday morning and I noticed them too. Later in the day I noticed them on lots of other cars - Volkswagen and Audi? Acura, maybe? I don't really recall. Looks like this may be the design of the near future. They're lighter and consist of less parts
Could they be pedestrian friendly?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
obmd1 said:
Could they be pedestrian friendly?
Aren't they still exposed with the hood closed? I don't understand why they're not hidden. Not like that's a hard thing to do. My parents' Mitsubishis are over 10 years old and have hidden wipers.

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
Kaz said:
Aren't they still exposed with the hood closed? I don't understand why they're not hidden. Not like that's a hard thing to do. My parents' Mitsubishis are over 10 years old and have hidden wipers.
Maybe if they hid the wipers, you couldnt get as much coverage of the wipers. If you look at the passengers side wiper, it is at an angle. I guess its hard to hide an angled wiper... But then again, what the heck do I know :dunno:

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I never thought the wipers were the strongest feature of the e46. I seem to recall something about Audi changing their wipers to ones which worked better at US cruising speeds (as opposed to German ones).

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
The wipers are made by Bosch ... same as Audi.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Blax said:
I never thought the wipers were the strongest feature of the e46. I seem to recall something about Audi changing their wipers to ones which worked better at US cruising speeds (as opposed to German ones).
Mine work well, but then again, they don't get used every often. Even with the recent record rains, I think I've had it past 'intermittent' one time.

I read the thing about Audi wipers, too. IIRC, German spec wiper arm pressures are set high on purpose so they don't skip at Autobahn speeds, but made blades squeak at low American speeds, and that Americans like to complain about stuff like this. Only my rear wiper squeaks, so I don't know what the problem is with Audis.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
I very happy with my E46 wipers as well. I do get some chatter in cross winds, but that is just physics, so I don't get too wound up about it.

Unlike Kaz ( :p ), I have been through some serious rain with them and as long as I had a good set of blades, I have never had any problems.

·
Registered
793 Posts
BMWer said:
are the wipers reversible? There seems to be a rubber edge on top too.
No, they're not reversible. The wiper looks like a completely different design from conventional wiper blades. There is a rubber edge on top, but the actual wiping part of the blade is almost completely flat (it's actually concave). The entire blade itself is also kind of soft and floppy--if you lifted up the wiper up, the blade will droop at both ends. Quite an interesting design, really. My only complaint is that the housing at the end of the wiper arms, which contain the attachments for the blade itself, are made plastic. The overall effect looks cheap to me. But it's a minor nitpick, especially if the end result is a better wiper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those are indeed the Valeo Ultimate wipers. I have a set on my Mazda, and they are silent, do not skip, and seem to do a better job. They also look much, much cleaner and appear completely resistant to snow and ice buildup.

The only problem is that they are very expensive. I assume that the BMW warranty is like my Audi warranty where wiper replacements are free at the dealer. In that case you can't go wrong with these blades, but if you are shelling out your own cash I'm not sure I would recommend them at the moment unless you are having a lot of wiper problems with conventional blades. My Mazda is such a case - I have tried 3 or 4 different conventional blades and none work well.

I have examined the blades and there is absolutely nothing about them that warrant the high cost. They look to be one of those things where you just say "I can't believe nobody thought of this before" because they are a much simpler design and definitely appear to be easier and cheaper to manufacture. I'm guessing that Valeo is pricing them so high because the sales volume and the competition is low right now. As these become more common they will probably drop considerably in price, especially as the knock-offs become more common. In fact, I have already seen a knock-off at Pep Boys for $10 a blade. Design was the same except no "airfoil" on the top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts