Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week in Chicago it rained the whole week. On my way to work (last week), I noticed that my 5-month-old Bosh wiper blades where skipping/jumping on the windshield (very annoying). So, the next day I cleaned and clay bar the windshield. The very next day, the wiper blades were still skipping/jumping on the windshield. Today, I put new ones on, and these damn brand new (OEM) Bosh blades are still jumping/skipping on my windshield. Is there any reason to why they’re not gliding or functioning as normal blades do? I don't use any windshield treatments like rain-x defogger or other stupid products.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,459 Posts
The contact angle of your blades must be adjusted.

”Stupid products” “Oh Kaay, Francis.” says DI Sgt. Hulka.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,459 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are they skipping when the wipers are going in one direction only or both directions? If only one, it's contact angles. If both directions, the arm pressure is too light.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,459 Posts
‘Rain-X’ is not Rain-X for some years as it was sold and the brand is being milked for its reputation. The brand is primarily automatic car wash solutions now, owned by ITW Global.

·
Registered
6 Posts

You can find the reason and solution to your problem on this blog.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You can find the reason and solution to your problem on this blog.
Replace the wiper arm? Lol If that's the case, I'll just deal with the skipping

·
Nuclear engineer
16,459 Posts
“Clean your windshield. This is the cheapest way to begin troubleshooting and fixing the problem.

Check the angle of your blade.

Apply windshield wiper lubricant.

Check the windshield for contamination

Apply clay to the windshield.

Buy new wiper blades if the problem persists.”

You kin get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant; ‘ceptin’ Alice, that is. And the truth.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
“Clean your windshield. This is the cheapest way to begin troubleshooting and fixing the problem.

Check the angle of your blade.

Apply windshield wiper lubricant.

Check the windshield for contamination

Apply clay to the windshield.

Buy new wiper blades if the problem persists.”

You kin get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant; ‘ceptin’ Alice, that is. And the truth.
Tried all that above. Except, the angle seems off. I don't know how to fix the angle. The post you sent before was for a BMW 7 series.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just turned the wipers on again and turned it off to where it jumps/skips and the blades are parallel to the windshield. So, I guess the angel is fine.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
To OP, one option is to try using BMW logo blade and compare to those brand new Bosch. If BMW part works without problem, then the issue is with aftermarket part.

If even BMW part has an issue, then do examine the metal part that holds the wiper blade. That part can be slightly bent outwards, and hence does not hold the blade snug(and the fix is to carefully bend it back).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To OP, one option is to try using BMW logo blade and compare to those brand new Bosch. If BMW part works without problem, then the issue is with aftermarket part.

If even BMW part has an issue, then do examine the metal part that holds the wiper blade. That part can be slightly bent outwards, and hence does not hold the blade snug(and the fix is to carefully bend it back).
The Blades are brand new.
the metal part that holds the wiper blade”. You’re talking about the small silver cylinder shaped thing?

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
The Blades are brand new.
the metal part that holds the wiper blade”. You’re talking about the small silver cylinder shaped thing?
At times even brand new aftermarket blades can be slightly off and wobble.

But let's say the aftermarket blades are perfect fit, the next thing to check will be any play on the attachment points(of the wiper arms) that the blades go on.

BTW, been there, done that.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts