BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

windshiled wipers not working, drivers seat/steering wheel wont adjust

1184 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jitsjaf2009
hello, I was more than happy to stumble upon this forum. I just purchased a 1998 740il. The windshield wipers wont work, nor does the lock/unlock button and most importantly the driver seat and steering wheel does not adjust. please keep in mind I'm 5'10. Please help. I'm hoping this is something my fiance can fix.. otherwise I'm looking at 90.00 diagnostic to determine if its the relays for the windshield wipers or the motor.... then 1100 if the motor or 350 if it's the relays.
I didn't even get a quote to fix the seat and steering column. After paying 152 for an oil change.... I was expecting 30-40 bucks.. (originally a Chevy girl) I need to get this car inspected ASAP in order to drive PLEASE HELP
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Hello I would check the fuses first , the fuse box would be in the engine compartment by the firewall on the passengers side , then as far as the steering wheel and seats is concerned , if it's not the fuse it would be a bad seat switch , it it's all tied to that seat switch , you could get those seat switches on eBay or salvage yard for around 25 dollars
Good luck

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
hello, I was more than happy to stumble upon this forum. I just purchased a 1998 740il. The windshield wipers wont work, nor does the lock/unlock button and most importantly the driver seat and steering wheel does not adjust. please keep in mind I'm 5'10. Please help. I'm hoping this is something my fiance can fix.. otherwise I'm looking at 90.00 diagnostic to determine if its the relays for the windshield wipers or the motor.... then 1100 if the motor or 350 if it's the relays.

I didn't even get a quote to fix the seat and steering column. After paying 152 for an oil change.... I was expecting 30-40 bucks.. (originally a Chevy girl) I need to get this car inspected ASAP in order to drive PLEASE HELP
Thank you..I was told fuses are ok..but it may be a relay??? Somewhere under the glove compartment...I can kind of see it..but I can't really access it...Am I suppose to remove the glove compartment or is there a switch that would move the fuse box do that it's accessible.
as far as the seat and wheel goes, I agree the problem is in the switch at the seat. the seat panel on mine had a upper broken tab which allowed the connector at the switch to break and I had to replace the switch. but I didnt fix the seat panel and it happened again. this time I replaced the broken switch and seat panel.
Its often not the seat switches that fail, but broken trim to the outside of the drivers seat, as the tab at its rear breaks off, allowing the side to drop. This causes strain on the wiring and plug connections, so try removing this trim first
Ok is this a part I can get on ebay? Also does anyone know how to access the fuses under the glove box ...I would like to see if the windshield wiper relay is malfunctioning..I purchased this car from the auction...waited 30 days to get the title only to find the car hadn't been inspected since 2013... I would really like to drive it now.
Thanks I seed you already answered my question
Yeah...the connector on the switch worked loose. I finally put a couple spots of RTV to hold it in place, but not make it impossible to replace should the need every arise. No problem since.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.