Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, my winter tires are coming tomorrow but I just found out that my neighbor is selling his 2000 Explorer for $11K. It has 60K miles on it and he got the extended warranty. Its a V-6, 4WD, fully loaded. It is in perfect condition and has had all of its regular services.

I can get a heated garage for the winter for $250 for the BMW. I was then thinking if I went to any shows this winter, I could trailer the car and keep it under a cover.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm pretty sure I could get the car for around 10K to 10.5k. It seems like a really good deal and if anything happened to my car during the winter, I don't know what I would do.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
You live in Buffalo? You probably have an entirely different concept of winter driving than nearly everyone else here.

We get snow in Philadelphia, but I can't even imagine getting another car as a winter beater.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
You probably know I just went through owning 2 cars (well 3 if you include my wife's)and now I'm down to one and it's nice . . .

Cost of maintenance for 2 cars is higher, you need to pay insurance for 2 cars and then comes the tough part . . . which one do you drive . . .

I'd recommend snow tires and see how it takes you through the winter . . .

Plus $11,000 for a second car is a lot of money.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sugested

I sugested that in your other post and I still think its a good idea.With all the snow they get I wouldn't dream of driving my bmw there.L.I. is like a summer resort campared to Buffalo.
good luck
vern

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Pete, trust me, bimmers are VERY capable in winter :)

I think we get as much snow here as you guys in B-lo do, and there was not a single moment during last winter when I even though about driving a different car. With good winter tires and DSC you get good traction when starting up, and braking...Expolrer won't stop anywhere near as good you bimmer will.

Unless you are planning to get into an accident this winter, there's no reason to get that SUV!

My 200 rubles :)

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. Its good to get knocked upside the head sometimes. I don't know what I was thinking. $11k is a good amount of cash and I could find better places to put this money.

The winter tires will be here today, so I'll take some pics and post them later tonight or tomorrow.

Rost, where did you get that sig picture? Its really cool!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Pete, you know where you can spend those bucks, don't you... :angel:

I took that pic from my window :dunno: I've got a bunch of them:

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
if the mystery machine survived two winters with all season tires i'm sure ur car can make it shod with winter tires. is this the first winter for ur car? Bol survived driving out in western canada with his car and Calgary has brutal winters compared to what we get here.

11k is a lot of money even if that is in CDN coins. just think of all the other mods u can do to ur car. wait u probably have. :)

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
what type of snows did u end up getting? i'm looking for a set myself and have no clue what brand to even start with. Nokian sounds the best but i haven't priced it out yet.

searching through all the archives on winter tires just made my head spin even more with all the different brands people suggested.

Ack said:

The winter tires will be here today, so I'll take some pics and post them later tonight or tomorrow.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rost12 said:
Pete, you know where you can spend those bucks, don't you... :angel:

I took that pic from my window :dunno: I've got a bunch of them:
Ah man Rost, I sure do. With that kinda cash, we could probably rent one of them for a full month, unlimited dances for all! ;)

Those pics are nice! Did you reverse them or do people always park on the sidewalks and drive on the wrong side of the street? :p

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ChrisTO said:
if the mystery machine survived two winters with all season tires i'm sure ur car can make it shod with winter tires. is this the first winter for ur car? Bol survived driving out in western canada with his car and Calgary has brutal winters compared to what we get here.

11k is a lot of money even if that is in CDN coins. just think of all the other mods u can do to ur car. wait u probably have. :)
This is the first winter for me. The last rear-wheel drive car I had was a 1980 Plymouth Volare that I totaled b/c of a semi-slick road.

No more mods until next spring . . . :rolleyes:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ChrisTO said:
what type of snows did u end up getting? i'm looking for a set myself and have no clue what brand to even start with. Nokian sounds the best but i haven't priced it out yet.

searching through all the archives on winter tires just made my head spin even more with all the different brands people suggested.

I got the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's. Here is the thread I recently posted. Great tires from what I hear and have read. Much better ice/slush grip and handling then the Pilot Alpines.

Talk to Eddie at Tirerack. This is the guy I spoke with and he can help you with everything. He's a good guy.

Attachments

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i was thinking about the Blizzaks myself till i spoke with a friend of mine that works at a tire shop.(maybe they ran out of stock on the blizzaks :) )he said the Blizzaks are great till u wear off the snow biting sticky layer of rubber and all ur left with is a mediocre all season tire. with TO winters being so mild i'd probably wear off all the good stuff before i really get to use it in the deep slushy snow. :dunno:

ya...i hear ya on the RWD concern. even getting up my driveway was a hassle in light snow fall last year. i'd literally would sit there and the tires would just spin away.

Ack said:

I got the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's. Here is the thread I recently posted. Great tires from what I hear and have read. Much better ice/slush grip and handling then the Pilot Alpines.

Talk to Eddie at Tirerack. This is the guy I spoke with and he can help you with everything. He's a good guy.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
Ack said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Its good to get knocked upside the head sometimes. I don't know what I was thinking. $11k is a good amount of cash and I could find better places to put this money.

Good thinking Ack :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Ack

I'm sure you will do great with your new snow tires as long as you stay on the plowed roads and don't get caught in a snow storm.My main concern would be the difference of the ground clearence between the bmw's and the 4x4's.It don't take to much of a snow storm for your under carriage on a bmw to get hung up.
good luck
vern

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Pete, we're talking CANADA here. Of course they park on sidewlaks and drive on the wrong side of the street! They also got beavers walking down the streets :p

:)

Actually, that's not the sidewalk that guy is parked on, that's how road crossings are marked on some intersections :) And he's just driving by.
As for that taxi driving on the wrong side...well, TAXI. Duh ;)

Chris, I got caught with my all-seasons in snow last winter... scary :eeps: I'm surprised you could drive with them. Although JPinTO drives on his summers year 'round... You canucks are CRAZY :p

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Ack

vern said:
I'm sure you will do great with your new snow tires as long as you stay on the plowed roads and don't get caught in a snow storm.My main concern would be the difference of the ground clearence between the bmw's and the 4x4's.It don't take to much of a snow storm for your under carriage on a bmw to get hung up.
good luck
vern
Thanks!

It's funny you should mention this. My buddy was just talking about this to me the other day. I'm hoping I don't get stuck in any major storms. The truth is, I live 1/2 mile from the main road and from there its clear sailing. My road gets plowed pretty early so unless I get caught downtown during a major storm at work, I should be fine.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rost12 said:
Pete, we're talking CANADA here. Of course they park on sidewlaks and drive on the wrong side of the street! They also got beavers walking down the streets :p

:)

Actually, that's not the sidewalk that guy is parked on, that's how road crossings are marked on some intersections :) And he's just driving by.
As for that taxi driving on the wrong side...well, TAXI. Duh ;)
:lmao: :lmao:

Silly Canadians!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts