BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I just picked up a 1989 325i coupe for my daughter.

The car is in excellent shape, it's all original, and was very well taken care of.

I owned a 1986 325 sedan years ago, it was a great car and it handled really well in the snow.

I bought it in Florida, moved to Connecticut, and I was really surprised at how well it handled in the winter, I even sailed right pass Honda Civics struggling to get up hills in the snow.

My question is: have any of you had much experience with the 325i coupes in winter driving? Are they way too light in the rear for winter driving or do they hold they’re own when the weather gets nasty.

The previous owner had sand bags in the trunk, supposedly for traction. But one of BMW's strength’s is its perfect weight distribution and balance.

I wouldn't think I would need to keep the sandbags for the snow; I never needed them for my sedan. I should also mention that the car has brand new tires. They’re not wide, low profile tires; they’re stock size tires on the stock rims. I know the wide; low profile tires would be horrible in the snow.

Give me your impressions and thoughts........................ Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
i don't drive mine in the snow but i don't see the need for sand bags.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
her car wont have a LSD because is not an IS so it might spin a little, take her out in the snow and let her do some doughnuts to get used to it otherwise maybe the sandbags.. i have a truck and a jeep for snow driving lol

·
dream chasin'
1,855 Posts
her car wont have a LSD because is not an IS so it might spin a little, take her out in the snow and let her do some doughnuts to get used to it otherwise maybe the sandbags.. i have a truck and a jeep for snow driving lol
i dont think this is true at all. someone correct me if im wrong but all sport items lsd/13button obc/premium sound/etc were ALL options for any e30. is,i, es, e.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i dont think this is true at all. someone correct me if im wrong but all sport items lsd/13button obc/premium sound/etc were ALL options for any e30. is,i, es, e.
I'm not sure if all of the options were available for all of the packages, but I now know that many were. I believe that I read somewhere that LSD was available as an option for the "s" packages (Wikipedia no doubt), but I'm unsure whether is was for the non-"s" varieties. I have a 325e with premium sound and the sport body kit, but I'm not sure if it has LSD (I'll need to check; it's my parts car).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
snow tires make an e30 a great winter car. Had more feel than my jeep wrangler did.

·
I get in and rock wit it!
301 Posts
u dont need to control your e30 on winter driving...let it go crazy...winter & e30s get along very well...t helps the e3o to make great corner/neighberhood entrys! :) good luck

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
take her out in the snow and let her do some doughnuts to get used to it
i dont know if you are joking or not, but you should do this. putting sand bags in the back isnt going to make the car drive like normal again. whether you decide to use them or not you should let her muck around in a field and get a feel for how the car is going to drive on ice

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've been winter driving my E30 for the past 4 winters with the same poopy tires and it honestly does really well, no sand bags needed, I don't even have trunk tar or a spare in the back. Its easy to control, easy to get a feel for when its slipping and when its planted. Just make sure the driver is aware of the condition, not all snow is equal so check the condition often and see how it reacts. My car has a 4.10 LSD

·
610EUROs
6,955 Posts
for the record. sport parts were all options on non-sport models. just the same non-sport items could be had on sport models.

my old 325e was great in the snow. better then fwd for sure. the 50/50 weight distrobution is better then the 60/40 fwd cars.

example: i had a buddy following me in his golf one day in some serious snow. my car (on low profi lehigh performance summer tires) and my buddys car was on the stock big tires with good tread. we were going to my buddys house, i drifted a round the next turn just fooling around. they were big suburb turns. he was following behind me going same speed , his whole rear end went into a drift, i thought he was screwing around. but he spun out nearly clipped 2 cars and ended up into the curb next to somebodys driveway. he said it was one of the scariest things ever to happen to him driving.

im very undecide on LSD bieng better , for the following reasons. lsd spins both wheels so you are alot more likely to spin out. when your one tire spins in a non-lsd car you continue in that straight line(usually). but lsd is better if your stuck on ice or going up hill. my non-lsd black car would just stop on hills and the rear end would just go to the side. i preferd the non-lsd due to it not bieng so easy to kick the rear end out.

i would not put sand bags because you would be messing up the weight distribution. the e30 should be fine. the only time she will have any chance to slide out is on ice, and no amount of sandbags or wheel power will fix that.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
and i wasnt joking about taking her out and letting her do doughnuts and slide all around... my little sis is great in the snow because i made her do just that.. went to a walmart parking lot during a blizzard and she had a great time

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 1987 325e 5 speed owner's manual advises putting some 'ballast' in the trunk for winter driving. I have not had it in the winter yet, so I have not tried it. I do put some weight in the back of my 88 volvo 240 wagon--rwd as well, 5 speed,( but no snow tires) and it make a huge difference in winter driving. I put snows on my 2003 525i automatic,(but no ballast), and it's like a tank in the snow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the reply's and advice guys, good lookin out.

I grew up on rear-wheel drive cars and I agree with all of you that said to take her out to practice and get a feel for how the car will behave in snowy conditions.

She's never driven a rear-wheel drive car before and I told her the dynamics and physics between the two types of drive-lines are completely different.

One is pulling the car, and the other is pushing. My 325 was absolutely terrific in the snow. The weight distribution of these cars is phenomenal.

I also agree with all of you that said the sand bags won't be needed. The best thing to do is to feel the car's motion through the pedal - and adjust with all the nuances.

Bottom line is: she's just going to have to learn how to recalibrate to the car and take her lumps like the rest of did during our first winters.

Thanks Gang..............:thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
wasn't there a thread on the LSD and non LSD rear ends and how to check by a certain marking on the diff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts