BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gadget Freak
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens if you got Sports package on the e90 and you are picking it up in december?

I've never had preformance tires so i am inexperinced with them.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
If you will be driving in an area that normally gets snow in December I'd caution against it. Summer tires in snow can be just plain scary let alone dangerous. I don't know what to offer as you can't get to warm and sunny southern Italy without going through snow territory. Drive carefully from the delivery center to Harms for drop off?

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
If you stick to the main autobahns and main roads, you probably won't do too bad. The Germans and Austrians are pretty good with snow removal unless they get a total dumping.

I wouldn't advise finding the smallest least traveled roads through the Alps, but if you hit the Autobahn and make a run for Italy, you should be OK.

Also, if you stay in Germany, keep to the main roads and if the town you are in gets dumped on, just drive very carefully.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Beyond some point, however, driving winter roads on summer tires becomes gross negligence whose consequences an insurance company does not have to pay for.

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
Agni said:
What happens if you got Sports package on the e90 and you are picking it up in december?

I've never had preformance tires so i am inexperinced with them.
I did an ED in February and flew into an Arctic BLAST! Snow everywhere (except on the highways). Temperature never got above mid 20s (F). They salt the roads so ice didn't form. It was a little scary driving 120 with my dash "outside temp" telling me it 23F... :yikes:

You can find a few wintery Munich photos here

I had 325 HP with Wide A$$ run flats. No problem... just stick to main roads. You may also try using the Gotthard tunnel and go under the alps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts