Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from Houston, Texas to Milwaukee Wisconsin next month with my 330ci ZHP. I've already bought ASA JH3 16's with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for my tire wheel setup, but I am now wondering what else is essential for Winter driving in the tundra-like temperatures of Wisconsin. Do I need to change coolant/oil, etc. or will my OEM BMW fluids withstand the temperatures and weather? I'd rather not buy more than I really have to as I already have tons of other expenses for the move. Any help would be appreciated. :dunno:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
I'm moving from Houston, Texas to Milwaukee Wisconsin next month with my 330ci ZHP. I've already bought ASA JH3 16's with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for my tire wheel setup, but I am now wondering what else is essential for Winter driving in the tundra-like temperatures of Wisconsin. Do I need to change coolant/oil, etc. or will my OEM BMW fluids withstand the temperatures and weather? I'd rather not buy more than I really have to as I already have tons of other expenses for the move. Any help would be appreciated. :dunno:
Coolant, as long as its fresh, will be fine. Its not like you're moving to Calgary - Milwaukee is almost a Chicago suburb. The only thing you might want to check is windshied washer fluid. If its stock, ok, but if you've put a cheap Texas blend in it, it might freeze. Don't forget to put an ice/snow brush/scraper in the car, plus some other survival gear in case you get trapped in a blizzard.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Have you test fit those wheels yet? I thought the only 16" that were known to fit the 330ZHPs was the AT Italia 5s (E36 M3 replicas)? I could be wrong but I'd check those wheels on your car and pay particular attention to the clearance around the brake calipers.

Oh yeah, and as far as things to prepare for winter, through a new set of wiper blade refills (rubber inserts only) on the list. I usually replace mine at the beginning of winter and again in the spring. If you don't have garaged or covered parking, you may want to consider a set of winter blades.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let's see....

Rubber mats are a good idea to keep from trashing the carpet ones with salt/grime.

I'd also pick up some Gummi Pflege for the rubber seals, hit the locks with some WD-40 to prevent icing, and put a good coat of wax or, better yet, a good synthetic paint sealant on your car to fend off salt.

Also remember that anything IN your car gets as cold as it is outside. So if you have a bottle of detailing spray or touch-up paint or anything in your trunk or glove box that you don't want to freeze, bring it inside for the winter.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Coolant, as long as its fresh, will be fine. Its not like you're moving to Calgary - Milwaukee is almost a Chicago suburb. The only thing you might want to check is windshied washer fluid. If its stock, ok, but if you've put a cheap Texas blend in it, it might freeze. Don't forget to put an ice/snow brush/scraper in the car, plus some other survival gear in case you get trapped in a blizzard.
Even in Calgary, there is nothing special to be done to an E46 for the winter other than putting the winter tyres, assuming the car is maintained at least to the BMW schedule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts