BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 2001 540i/6 w/ sport package. I have #63 17" or better yet M-Paralles and live in Chicago. I purchased a winter set up for my wifes 2002 X5 4.4 Sport and I do think it was a very good decision. I am going to do the same for my car. I was thinking... maybe I should get a set of 18" for my summer setup and use my 17" for my winter setup. Or just buy another set of 17" for my winter and run 17" for both seasons. I had 2 MercSsl500's(97.00) and there was a huge difference between the 17" and the 18" that I had. What do you guys recomend that I do for the bimmer. Is it worth going to the 18 or should I just stick w/ the 17.

thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Personally, you don't even need 17" for winter tires but it would be nice to maintain a similar-sized rim. Put a full set of Blizzaks all the way around and I've heard BMW do very well in the snow.

·
Self taught
66 Posts
my opinion

Go to 16" on all four wheels with LM-22 Bridgestone Blizzaks (225-60-16)mounted :thumbup:and keep the 17" for the summer use:clap:.

I had ths very same setup from 1998-2004 on 2 E39's the first with Michelin artic alpins.:D

Never got stuck!!!!:)

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
the trick is to have a skinny tire for the winter. i have a set of Blizzack ws-15's on Borbet Type-H i'm selling; 225.50.16's. i used them this past winter and they made the car drive in the snow like it was nothing. ice was extremely grippy but still, it's ice but it never got me stuck unlike a lot of suv drivers where i work; they were all scared of the snow. i would just blaze by and take turns like it's nothing.

the only thing is, they are 16". fits fine and makes the ride a little softer. i'm selling them since i've decided to drive my gf's Focus next winter and just store the 5; that or i'm out to cali, whichever comes first. not worth getting salt all over it like it did this past winter. if you are interested, let me know. asking $600+shipping; neg. they were $1200 new from tirerack. it's got at least a season and a half left on them. PM me if you are interested.

http://www.thetkehouse.com/540/Borbet/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts