BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jen D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be my first season storing my 2012 335xi in my garage. Not temperature controlled, but also not out in the elements. I'm on board with the clean and dry exterior, treated leather, stabil, full tank of fuel, inflated tires... but looking for some additional opinions on covers. I'd like to keep things off it from just opening and closing the other side of the garage (where my daily driver X3 is...) and dust and such. However I don't want anything to scratch up the paint. Am I better off leaving it exposed in the garage?

Also looking at suggestions for battery tender's. Last thing I want is to find a dead battery on the first beautiful day of the season.

Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Others will almost certainly know more, but I would avoid any cover which allows moisture condensation build-up. As long as it has a good coat of wax, uncovered may be best.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
... As long as it has a good coat of wax, uncovered may be best.
+1. Zymol carnauba wax applied 2 or 3 times yearly has protected my Boxster in the garage and my Bimmer outside.

I've been using a Deltran Battery Tender to charge a lawn tractor and to maintain various cars & motorcycles for over 15 years. It has always worked flawlessly.

Tom

·
Jen D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!! After all I've read about indoor covers and what I'm seeing here that I think I'm going to just have her uncovered after she's detailed and waxed up in a few weeks.

As for the tender, any specific model I should be looking at or avoiding? I've learned that just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better.

Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would avoid the cover and agree with Tom. Purchase a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I've had one since 2009 and it has always performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think I'm going to just have her uncovered after she's detailed and waxed up in a few weeks.
:thumbup:

In a garage where temps (and perhaps humidity) go up and down I think that's the best. With a good wax job (and windows closed of course), some dust, leaves, and maybe pollen or even pollution will do no harm and rinse off in the spring.

But accumulation of moisture, even under a "breathable" cover, can cause real problems, perhaps even more if you're close to the ocean.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is going to be my first season storing my 2012 335xi in my garage. Not temperature controlled, but also not out in the elements. I'm on board with the clean and dry exterior, treated leather, stabil, full tank of fuel, inflated tires... but looking for some additional opinions on covers. I'd like to keep things off it from just opening and closing the other side of the garage (where my daily driver X3 is...) and dust and such. However I don't want anything to scratch up the paint. Am I better off leaving it exposed in the garage?

Also looking at suggestions for battery tender's. Last thing I want is to find a dead battery on the first beautiful day of the season.

Thanks!
I've been storing cars every year for the last 20 years with no issues. Get yourself a good fitted breathable car cover like those from California car cover comaony or similar place. You would be surprised at the dust and crap that lands on your car during storage in a garage especially one where you are coming in and out on the other side. As for battery tenders any of the ones you see are fine. Some people prefer the ctek chargers as they have various charge modes available. I've never had an issue with my basic Battery Tender brand charger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A 328 i convertible and a 99 sl500 stored the last years for 10 months per year ( max 4 months at once) never any problem with a breathable car cover from https://www.carcoversdirect.com/car-covers
Dustop indoor only ( i have no comm interest at all in this co, but they are very friendly and have excellent products)
I would add that windows need to remain open, doors not closed, trunk open (used tennisball to keep open), old cloth in exhaust, cloth under wipers to prevent they stick to windshield, ctek charger permanently on(consumes almost nothing), parking brake release, car in 'p', take out the carpets and vacuum car interior in detail. That has given me years of pleasure of discovering my babies in great shape once taking the covers off !

·
Registered
290 Posts

Thanks!
I've owned a number of classic cars, and I like to be able to at least see them, when they are put away for the winter. This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/CarCapsule-Indoor-Inflatable-Cover-Storage/dp/B004646QYK

As for the battery, disconnect it when it's in storage.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Thanks!! After all I've read about indoor covers and what I'm seeing here that I think I'm going to just have her uncovered after she's detailed and waxed up in a few weeks.

As for the tender, any specific model I should be looking at or avoiding? I've learned that just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better.

Thanks!
Jen
+1 the way to go. also the Deltran charger is excellent

1 - 15 of 15 Posts