BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to be that time of year again here in Maine and I was curious about what people do to their cars before they put them away for the winter?I have only owned my convertible for 2 months ,so have never dealt with this before. Should I change oil now or in the spring?What about Seafoam in the oil over the winter to dissolve the sludge?Trickle charge on battery or disconnect? What is the best cover to get to protect it for the winter in my dusty garage? Thanks for your input in advance!

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Hmmm... Although I never had a reason to store my car (for over a month), I would assume you change oil before you store it. No seafoam, and keep the battery disconnected.

I have no experience with this, so i wouldnt even know the routine :dunno:

Others may chime in.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
I have plenty of experience storing cars over the winter. Here's what I do:

Putting car in storage:
- Burn through your current tank of gas, then add Chevron fuel stabilizer, then fill up half-way with premium, then drive around for a bit so that the fuel stabilizer gets all the way through the lines and to the injectors (in other words, don't add the stabilizer after you've already parked the car where it will be for the winter). Do this in exactly the order described.
- Purchase a portable "bucket dehumidifier" and place inside car. They're basically buckets filled with of some mystery pellet material that pulls moisture out of the air. This is quite important, and prevents/reduces mold forming inside your car. Also keeps it from getting musty in general. You'd surprised how much water it will collect by the end of winter.
- Leave windows cracked about an inch.
- Remove battery and place on battery tender (not trickle charger), preferably in your basement or some place that does not get too cold. The battery tender is advised, but I don't use one personally, and have never had a problem in over 15 years of storing cars every winter. I just store my batteries in my basement on a shelf (do not store battery on floor!).
- Raise car on jack stands so that tires do not touch the ground. You will get flat spots on your tires otherwise. With tires no longer on ground, reduce the air pressure in each one.
- If the temps will be below freezing where the car is stored, be sure that your antifreeze is at the proper level and is still good. I've seen way too many people crack their engine blocks, particularly in boats, because the owner did not check the antifreeze.
- Some people may recommend pulling the fuel pump relay and running the car until it dies in order to get all the fuel out of the lines and injectors. I'm not sure if this will realistically reduce the likelihood of fuel system varnishing.
- Use a car cover that is intended for indoor storage and breathes.

Bringing car out of storage:
- Change oil right away. Even if your oil was brand new when you put the car into storage, condensation has formed in the crankcase over winter, and your oil has been contaminated with trace amounts of water.
- Turn the engine over for about ten seconds (before letting it fire up) to bring oil back up to the top of the engine, then reconnect the fuel pump relay and fire it up. I just like to make sure I have good oil pressure before starting my GTO and the other muscle cars in my family. I also have an auxiliary oil pressure gauge in my GTO, which the E36 BMW doesn't (only an idiot light).
- Re-inflate tires to correct PSI.
- Fill tank up with premium gas, and add a fuel system cleaner.
- Reinstall battery (bring a jumper box or jumper cables if car is stored off site).
- Do not rev engine on initial start up, let it warm up for a bit before first driving, and go easy on it.

That's pretty much it for me. Others may have additional tips.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
ZeGerman is in for the save! Haha Good stuff

·
Beamerguy100
77 Posts
I stored my 96 328 conv last year for 4 months of Canadian winter in a garage. did most of what zeGernan suggested but \i pressed the gas tank full ( helps reduce moisture tsake up) \I didnt think about the dehumidifier but placed punctured plastic bags of mothballs in the car to keep any critters from wintering over in it....I also didnt jack it off the tires and didnt seem to have a problem. I was astounded when it burst into life as soon as I turned the ignition in the \Spring.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,961 Posts
- Some people may recommend pulling the fuel pump relay and running the car until it dies in order to get all the fuel out of the lines and injectors. I'm not sure if this will realistically reduce the likelihood of fuel system tarnishing.
If you do that, you defeat the purpose of loading the fuel with stabilizer and running it until it has filled the entire system. One of the purposes of adding the stabilizer is to prevent oxidation. It works a lot better if the system is continuously "wet" (filled with fuel). Empty lines= air and moisture in the system= possible corrosion.

Other than that one point, I agree with your suggestions, Ze. Nicely done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts, particularly ZeGerman......thanks for the specific information.The car will be in a garage that will be kept at around 45 degrees.Any reason for the use of Chevron instead of StaBil?I have always used it with good results.The garage has infrared gas heat so it stays real dry...but I think I will try the "bucket dehumidifier" trick.Thanks again!

·
Registered
494 Posts
IMO, run a full tank threw with gasline antifreeze before you fill up and put the stabilizer in. This will remove all the water from the tank, which can cause it to rust from the inside out. Generally just a good idea to do every now and then anyway (I do it once a year on all my cars).
+1 leave the gastank full.
+1 leave the lines/injectors full of gas

Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts