Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 750 came with winter Contiwinter runflat tires on it and no all seasons. I've never driven another 750 prior to this one. It feels really bottom heavy around curves in every driving mode and wonder if that is just the way these handle or of it is a function of the tires. It's a 2014LI with x drive and M sport with just over 40k miles on it. I'm in Minnesota and since i've owned the car it's never been over 32 degrees. I will have to figure out some all seasons when spring approaches but wonder if the heavy feeling is just how the car is.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The winter tires definitely affect handling. I have never run them on my car...only all seasons. Handling is fine IMO..... I'm not sure I say it's heavy feeling but it's also not a 3200 lb car either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The winter tires definitely affect handling. I have never run them on my car...only all seasons. Handling is fine IMO..... I'm not sure I say it's heavy feeling but it's also not a 3200 lb car either.
I was coming from an almost equivalent weight, AWD, body on frame suv and the SUV handled substantially better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It takes getting used to. The power and fell are different from anything I have ever driven. I went from an Acura TL to a 750LI and it took getting used to. I'm sure the winter tires affect the handling and they won't last long either. When we lived in Colorado we bought some Michelin X ice for my wife's Acura. They didn't make it to 20,000 miles before they were completely bald.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,461 Posts
I just this season put on NOKIAN WR G3 year around all weather tires. They have an intermediate compound with snow tread. Optimal operating temperatures range from -25°C to +35°C (-13°F to 95°F).

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,024 Posts
Are they studless winter or performance winter? I don't recall seeing any Continental winter RFTs when I was researching on TireRack. Performance winter tires handle like A/S and don't really change the handling characteristics, at least not the Pirelli Sottozero's that I've had.

Though I have to ask, what do you mean by bottom heavy? I would assume that's more preferable than top heavy... ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you've already got a set of winters, I would be looking for some performance oriented tires for summer to eek all the handling prowess that you can from your 750.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
My 750 came with winter Contiwinter runflat tires on it and no all seasons. I've never driven another 750 prior to this one. It feels really bottom heavy around curves in every driving mode and wonder if that is just the way these handle or of it is a function of the tires. It's a 2014LI with x drive and M sport with just over 40k miles on it. I'm in Minnesota and since i've owned the car it's never been over 32 degrees. I will have to figure out some all seasons when spring approaches but wonder if the heavy feeling is just how the car is.
I was coming from an almost equivalent weight, AWD, body on frame suv and the SUV handled substantially better.
I'm not sure the issue you're having has ANYTHING to do with the type of tires you have mounted. If your previous vehicle was an AWD body on frame SUV...it has a higher center a gravity and probably would be considered to be "top heavy" (the opposite of your complaint).

A 750Lix is a 4 door sedan that has a lower center of gravity...thus it naturally would feel "bottom heavy" in comparison to an AWD SUV.

Tires are the only contact point that the vehicle has with the driving surface...so all the weight of the car is concentrated on those 4 small patches of rubber. They affect handling, traction, stopping, turning, etc...in ways that usually describe how the car "handles" rather than "feels". Like dedicated non-studded winter tires may begin to feel "squishy" when temps rise into the 50°F-up range...and their stopping ability may lengthen. But I can't say that I would ever describe any tire as making the vehicle feel "bottom heavy".

I do wonder if what you describe (bottom heaviness) is due to the type of vehicle you're driving. A taller SUV vs a lower 4 door sedan will not "feel" the same in regards to "bottom heaviness"...again, due to the sedan's lower center of gravity vs the taller SUV's higher center of gravity.

Just a thought (or two). :)

·
whughes
2,026 Posts
I use bridgeston lm32 for winter tires, hard ass snow tires, and bridgestone pole position tires for summer, hard ass summer tires. I have them each on their own rims. the snows are definitely not the same performance as the summers, you can never expect that you can find a set of snow tires that will work in the snow and handle great on the warm dry pavement

·
Registered
4 Posts
750LIXM,

I wholeheartedly agree with wjhughes42038; You'll need two complete sets of wheels:thumbup:.

If you go with All weather / All seasons you'll never really grip optimally in extreme situations. So go safely in the winter with winter tyres, and when temperatures gets stable above freezing, change to summer trim and feel the difference!:)

Br SK

·
whughes
2,026 Posts
you can get rims on the internet used pretty cheap, worst case, get them restored(about $125 ea)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure the issue you're having has ANYTHING to do with the type of tires you have mounted. If your previous vehicle was an AWD body on frame SUV...it has a higher center a gravity and probably would be considered to be "top heavy" (the opposite of your complaint).

A 750Lix is a 4 door sedan that has a lower center of gravity...thus it naturally would feel "bottom heavy" in comparison to an AWD SUV.

Tires are the only contact point that the vehicle has with the driving surface...so all the weight of the car is concentrated on those 4 small patches of rubber. They affect handling, traction, stopping, turning, etc...in ways that usually describe how the car "handles" rather than "feels". Like dedicated non-studded winter tires may begin to feel "squishy" when temps rise into the 50°F-up range...and their stopping ability may lengthen. But I can't say that I would ever describe any tire as making the vehicle feel "bottom heavy".

I do wonder if what you describe (bottom heaviness) is due to the type of vehicle you're driving. A taller SUV vs a lower 4 door sedan will not "feel" the same in regards to "bottom heaviness"...again, due to the sedan's lower center of gravity vs the taller SUV's higher center of gravity.

Just a thought (or two). :)
Good thoughts....the only car's I drive are rentals when I travel for my job and my teenage son's car very rarely. We have owned only SUV's forever since I have trailers and heavy boats.
For example, my most recent SUV was a SAAB 9-7x that I drove for years. That was a low production sport orientated (low) SUV with a truck body a large V8. Though it is an SUV, it handled better than most cars I've ever driven....albeit I only drive midsized rentals. It took curves extremely good and had an impressive skid pad rating. It was hard to find its limit it handled so well. This 750 for example, on my same commute I did with that 9-7x all those years, some hard curves really make me pull the wheel a lot harder in eco or comfort plus mode and the car feels like you are forcing it to take the curve that fast....the 9-7x begged for more. The 9-7 came with low profile tires and when I replaced them with slightly higher profile tires, the handling diminished by about 30% I would say. That is sort of the genesis of my thinking process. Seeing the performance difference between tires and wondering if that is what I am feeling in the 750. Regardless, when I am forced to buy tires for spring, I will likely answer my own question.

·
whughes
2,026 Posts
when I track my car, I use Michelin sport cup 2's They are amazing tires, tremendous grip. This car can do amazing things if you have all the options. 4 wheel steering, active roll stabilization, and of course the M sport package. I have run down some incredible cars in the turns. better drivers would run away from me, but a fair number of people that have graduated to at least intermediate have fallen prey to this beast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts