BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 X5M that came with the 21***8221; wheels. For the winter, I bought the BMW winter wheel and tire package. They are 20***8221; rims and have Pirelli tires. I just had the winter wheels/tires put on. The shop that put them on filled the front tires to 36psi and the back tires to 46psi. The plaque on the door says all four should be 36psi. Does anyone know if this is the same for the winter tires and/or know what the winter tire/wheel set up should be? Appreicate the advice.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whoo, 47 pounds will “pound” you ( pardon the pun) and wear the inner two ribs to nothing in short order, go by door plaque or look up optional tires & inflation in owners manual. My 2018 lists 36# for either 21” or 20”

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
From first principles the proper tire pressure varies with tire footprint and normal force on the tire. My owners manual lists slightly higher pressures for travel at speeds at greater than 100 MPH, +3 PSI front and +5 PSI rear.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Doug, you are correct, however it is the few rather than the many that transit the national highway system in bad weather (the original question was a winter tire question) albeit that Raleigh doesn’t see real bad snows, at 100 mph speeds consistently. The second principal is intended use.. eg: a Bonneville salts flats car driven and non driven wheels can differ significantly from say a quarter mile set up machine vs an F1 machine. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
I have on NOKIAN WR G3 year around snow tread intermediate compound and have thought a bit about winter tire pressures. Where I live we have snowy / icy roads for six months of the year and very frequently wet roads in the brief summer. Thank you very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts