BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone picked up a winter wheel pack (rims + tires) from tirerack for the M4? Would love any recommendations/pics if you have.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I picked up a 'spare' 18 in rim with an all-season tire, fits front and rear on my M2. I am planning on getting a set of the same rim with proper snow tires soon. My email receipt does not show the rim type, LOL, it was sold as "nonstock 25 wheel" since it was one of four returned by someone who did not like them, so I got a 10% discount or so. I'll look at the rim tomorrow for the name. LOL. I have picture of it....

The tire rack told me that they don't have data on snows until September so they have a handle on sizes and prices by the various manufactures. They are BMW VERY friendly so when they say it fits, then you can be sure it will fit.

I like the Dunlop Winter Sports M3 (just happens to be called M3) which i have been running on My RS6 since 2003. They are speed rated to 120 so you can still get up and go if the roads are clear. Not too noisy, noticeably more squishy on the twisties but that is expected for a snow tread. Great on ICE and Snow. They wear pretty good, I usually get three seasons out of a set.

Mike

Attachments

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
Are 18s the recommended size?

I typed this up on my Smartphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it clears the brakes, then 18 is preferred, less likely to have an issue with winter pot holes should you hit one, are less expensive to buy and the tires are less expensive. Having a set of 19's in the winter can be asking for expensive repair/replacements if you fall victim to a hidden crater in the road!

Mike

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
Better idea buy a Jeep to drive in the winter
I've been hinting to the wife about a 10-15 year old Smart car as my "winter car"

I could drive her '16 CX-5 but since she works, I'm not sure it's an option.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jeep my @$$.....RS6 is better in the snow than a Jeep. :LOL:

·
Registered
269 Posts
BBS SRs are a decent wheel and the 18's will fit, though the brake pad tabs machined themselves into the barrel of mine a little. lol

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
So I'm going with the offering that BMW AG has at my local dealership. €2050 (VAT exempt) with 640M rims(TPMS) and tires. Less hassle and not too far off from the cheapest wheel/tire package @Tirerack. Plus they are OEM. That was something that totally annoyed me with my previous Binmer. Rims with some other logo on them and having to buy adapter rings for them every time I had a rotation or seasonal changeover.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So I'm going with the offering that BMW AG has at my local dealership. €2050 (VAT exempt) with 640M rims(TPMS) and tires. Less hassle and not too far off from the cheapest wheel/tire package @Tirerack. Plus they are OEM. That was something that totally annoyed me with my previous Binmer. Rims with some other logo on them and having to buy adapter rings for them every time I had a rotation or seasonal changeover.

The only thing that i do not like about the 640M or 641M wheels is that they are staggered. The tires are the same size. I don't understand why they also didn't make the wheels the same size to allow rotation.

Mainly bc of that reason i think i'm gonna get an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think the rim I got accepts a standard BMW center hub. That is what the Tirerack sales man told me, and I found them to be pretty accurate with that kind of info. I agree I'd rather have the correct logo. I'll give it a try when I swap to the winter shoes.

Mike

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
I think the rim I got accepts a standard BMW center hub. That is what the Tirerack sales man told me, and I found them to be pretty accurate with that kind of info. I agree I'd rather have the correct logo. I'll give it a try when I swap to the winter shoes.

Mike
Weird, because when I asked if any rims accepted OEM BMW center caps I was told "no"

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only thing that i do not like about the 640M or 641M wheels is that they are staggered. The tires are the same size. I don't understand why they also didn't make the wheels the same size to allow rotation.
I'd like to understand the rationale on this as well. Handling?

Also, on every TireRack set I've looked into the offsets are not exact to OEM. Some closer than others, but none spot on for all four corners.

Again, curious about how this does, or doesn't effect the handling characteristics of the car?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd like to understand the rationale on this as well. Handling?

Also, on every TireRack set I've looked into the offsets are not exact to OEM. Some closer than others, but none spot on for all four corners.

Again, curious about how this does, or doesn't effect the handling characteristics of the car?
Keep in mind the offset is tied to the wheel width. Meaning if the wheel width changes then the offset will change too in order to have the same position. The 18 inch wheels that tire rack recommends for winters are basically all 8' wide.

BTW, we are trying to set up a group buy for winter sets (wheels and tires). We are in the process of calling places now and getting quotes. If anyone is interested, come back to this page and hopefully should have more info by the end of the week

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep in mind the offset is tied to the wheel width. Meaning if the wheel width changes then the offset will change too in order to have the same position. The 18 inch wheels that tire rack recommends for winters are basically all 8' wide.

BTW, we are trying to set up a group buy for winter sets (wheels and tires). We are in the process of calling places now and getting quotes. If anyone is interested, come back to this page and hopefully should have more info by the end of the week
I'm interested in the group ***** please keep me posted. Currently contemplating OEM winter set vs TireRack set. And while I understand the benefits of 18s for winter use, I really don't like how they look on the M4.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, the stagger seems to vary even in the various 8" wheel options offered by TR.

Another question, how does the 'track' of the M4 line up? In other words, if one was driving in snow on the M4 ZCP wheels (this is just a question- - I live in MN and know summer tires to not work at all in snow so this is just for illustrative purposes... Back to the question...) since the rears are 9.5" and the front 8.8", would the inside edges line up and you'd have 1" or outside rear tire on fresh snow? The centers line up- 1/2" of rear rubber on fresh snow on each side? People seem to assume the centers such that if you put the same width front and rear the f/r would run in the same track. But IDK that the M4 front track width is the same as the back- is it? Just curious

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts

Hey Visi,

I'm interested. Competition pack, so running with 20". I'd be fine for 18 or 19, as long as the ride height doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's actually a bit tough to find the right set of winter spec wheel & tires that clear the larger brakes on these cars. We've found that 19" opens up a lot more possibilities and options. A fairly common spec would be the 19x9.5 ET22 with a 255/35/19 all around. Shown below is a set of the VMR V710 in Gunmetal in the exact specs mentioned. We wrapped them on a set of Pirelli Winter SottoZero Serie II tires that were shipped out to another M4 owner & customer of ours.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
It's actually a bit tough to find the right set of winter spec wheel & tires that clear the larger brakes on these cars. We've found that 19" opens up a lot more possibilities and options. A fairly common spec would be the 19x9.5 ET22 with a 255/35/19 all around. Shown below is a set of the VMR V710 in Gunmetal in the exact specs mentioned. We wrapped them on a set of Pirelli Winter SottoZero Serie II tires that were shipped out to another M4 owner & customer of ours.
I have a 2016 M3, competition package (regular brakes). Would you mind letting me know the cost? Do you think Pirelli Winter SottoZero or Blizzaks are better?

What is ET22?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts