BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to plan ahead for winter which will only be weeks away after I take delivery of my X1 in November.

Since there is no such thing as a run-flat studless ice and snow tire on Tire Rack, I need to make sure I can keep a spare in my vehicle.

However, I ordered my vehicle without the spare tire option - Just because I ordered the vehicle from the factory with RFTs the compartment should still be there to store a spare right?

Anyone know the BMW model number or specs for the spare tire/jack/etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Trying to plan ahead for winter which will only be weeks away after I take delivery of my X1 in November.

Since there is no such thing as a run-flat studless ice and snow tire on Tire Rack, I need to make sure I can keep a spare in my vehicle.

However, I ordered my vehicle without the spare tire option - Just because I ordered the vehicle from the factory with RFTs the compartment should still be there to store a spare right?

Anyone know the BMW model number or specs for the spare tire/jack/etc?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone putting 17" on an X1? They are significantly cheaper on TireRack going from 18" snows to 17" but wasn't sure they'd clear despite Tire Rack saying it's ok?
TireRack is normally reliable. And I just read a review out of Canada were they tested an X1 with 17" winter .... and I am sure in other markets 17 are stock on entry models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
You are now going to pay more than double for a donut spare and BMW jack than if you had ordered it with the car. I would talk to your dealer and see if they can cut you a deal.

·
Registered
774 Posts
there is a foam insert, but for some wierd reason, it only hold the tire iron and the wheel chock, it does NOT hold the jack (you can get a smaller jack to fit but wierd that they did not design it for the designated jack)

isnt there an foam type insert on the OEM spares that holds the jack and other components?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, this is probably what you are looking for:

Compact spare wheel 36 11 6 851 507.

Tire: 36 12 2 407 369 (any tire with 135/90 R17 specs will do, I think).

By the way, I also had a problem with 19-inch rims since there are not so many 225/45/R19 winter models with RunFlat on the market.

Eventually dealer offered Continental TS830 SSR with 'BMW Homologation' (they market it as as tires produced according to BMW standards) with surprisingly moderate price tag. Set aside this 'Homologation' marketing, don't avoid dealers they sometimes also have reliable options.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your response.

This is INTENSELY annoying, I really wish I'd realized this.

I asked my dealer he said I'm too far into the build to add it for the $150 (DAMNIT)

Tirerack has the tire for $66 but don't have the steel rim for it.

I went through this same **** with my Golf R (which comes without RFTs AND no spare).

Sorry, Bimmerzone, I'm not spending $249 on just the tire, seems a little steep considering the tire is worth $66 and the steel rim probably less than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts