BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone tell me if the Valeo brand of after market wiper blades for the F25 are as good as the BMW OEM blades?

After six months my drivers side blade has developed two nicks as the OEM blades have a very fine edge which is what makes them so good but with ice on the windshields in our climate it's easy to damage them with an ice scraper or even just pulling them loose from the windshield as I've discovered.

OEM blade sets here are $89 from the dealer while the Valeo set is $54.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure about the Valeo but I have the Bosch Icons which I have been happy with. They cost a bit more than the Valeo but I was able to find them on Amazon for about $34 total for both. Need part number 20OE and 26OE.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about the Valeo but I have the Bosch Icons which I have been happy with. They cost a bit more than the Valeo but I was able to find them on Amazon for about $34 total for both. Need part number 20OE and 26OE.
Thanks for the tip Takehold!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find OE blades from online vendors much cheaper than the dealer.
Yes, I'm aware of that but in my experience many brands are of lesser quality than OEM. I'll looking for feedback on aftermarket blades base for BMW's based on BMW owner experience.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Anti-Hack
5,082 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of that but in my experience many brands are of lesser quality than OEM. I'll looking for feedback on aftermarket blades base for BMW's based on BMW owner experience.

Thanks for your reply!
I said OE not OEM. BMW blades are available from online vendors.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Agree!!

I used the Bosch Icons for years and they are excellent. I just had a minor tear in the drivers blade. Car is only 4 months old and BMW will only replace the blades once per 12 months under warranty. BMW wants about $75 for two new blades so bought just one Bosch 26OE. There is a slight difference in the mounting bracket but I am sure absolutely no one would notice its not a BMW blade unless they knew to look. I would guess Bosch is the BMW wiper OE and the factory blades are probably Bosch Icons anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree!!

I have used the Bosch Icons for years and they are excellent. I just had a minor tear in the drivers blade. Car is only 4 months old and BMW will only replace the blades once per 12 months under warranty. BMW wants about $75 for two new blades so bought just one Bosch 26OE. There is a slight difference in the mounting bracket but I am sure absolutely no one would notice its not a BMW blade unless they knew to look. I would guess Bosch is the BMW wiper OE and the factory blades are probably Bosch Icons anyway.
Thank you - exactly the feedback I was looking for. Just one question though - does the Bosch fit the wiper arm in the same way as the BMW blade. i.e. With the mounting hole that just slides onto the pin on the wiper blade?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thank you - exactly the feedback I was looking for. Just one question though - does the Bosch fit the wiper arm in the same way as the BMW blade. i.e. With the mounting hole that just slides onto the pin on the wiper blade?
Exactly the same. The Icons come with three platic clip on covers (over the mounting) and I replaced the one that came on the blade with a smaller one that was closer to the appearance of the original factory blade. The factory blade cover hides the small round hole but the Bosch Icon does not. Again, I see the hole every time I get into the car but I am sure no one else ever would.

By the way, make sure you put the wipers in their up position otherwise you will scratch the crap out of the back edge of the hood. You do this by turning the engine off, opening the drivers door, and holding the wiper stalk all the way up for about 3 seconds or so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly the same. The Icons come with three platic clip on covers (over the mounting) and I replaced the one that came on the blade with a smaller one that was closer to the appearance of the original factory blade. The factory blade cover hides the small round hole but the Bosch Icon does not. Again, I see the hole every time I get into the car but I am sure no one else ever would.

By the way, make sure you put the wipers in their up position otherwise you will scratch the crap out of the back edge of the hood. You do this by turning the engine off, opening the drivers door, and holding the wiper stalk all the way up for about 3 seconds or so.
Thanks again RhoXS - picked a 260 E blade up this morning, changed the plastic cap and mounted them on the wiper arm (I knew about the up position so no scratches :)). I no sooner got it on than the sky opened up with a downpour - they're every bit as good as the BMW blades and I see they are supposed to be very UV sunlight proof.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1996 Z3 roadster with Dinan Cold Air Intake & Stage 1 suspension.
162 Posts
Lately, the windshield washing sequence would finish it's final (5th?) wipe and still require a couple down-taps of the stalk before the glass was thoroughly cleared of wash solution. Time for new blades on this 2013 X3.

After cross-referencing Valeo and Bosch websites on what fits along with buyer reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about ordering some blades only to find I might end up with THE one on their shelf that chattered or didn't make full contact (prompting more time/energy returning/replacing an online order) Another concern was that some of the online pics for aftermarket brands showed some gloriously massive adapter mounts. The OEM blades are strictly designed for the X3's "pin & hook" attachment to provide a more streamlined look.

Decided to see what was available locally without the markup just because it came from some automotive specialty store (Autozone, PepBoys, etc). Bosch Icons sell locally for over $25 each. And the BMW OEM set (61612183576) for over $55 online?

At under $10 each, thought I'd give Rain-X a try. If they worked reasonably well, it'd be a readily accessible alternative.

26 inch for the driver's side, 20 inch for the passenger side.

Comparison shows the adapter mount is reasonably low-profile for aftermarket keeping the wiper arm height within a few millimeters from where OEM was.

Width approximately the same, aero spoiler on the Rain-X version measures up favorably. The OEM version has a continuous rubber shell that drapes across most of the wiper's width.

Business-end of the blade. Profile comparison.

It's been a particularly rainy 2 weeks so far, so I've had an opportunity to put them through the paces. On a dry day, activating the washing sequence, the new blades cleared the glass on the 2nd wipe. In the rain, it works perfectly fine. No chatter, no incomplete coverage, no issues with lifting at highway speeds.

I don't expect any drama over winter when sleet & snow comes, but will chime in with an update if any issues arise.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
took my 2017 X3 in for scheduled maintenance 2nd time- 14K miles- had it 14 months- still with original wiper blades- service advisor said wipers no longer covered by free maintenance, but would replace them "as a favor".

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ended up with 2 windshield and back wiper replacements on my 15 about every other service.

I had to replace the front ones on my own dollar the first time. After about 5 months, I ended up driving a long weekend road trip where it seemed to rain all the time. A couple hours before getting back to my father's place, it started skipping and leaving rubber on windshield. The rule I was told at the time was no more often than about every 10 months.

Since I'm within about 800 miles of the end of warranty/maintenance, it will just be up to me now. I have a spare set of blades I bought a couple years ago in case it failed unexpectedly again at some point, since I don't have a dealer where I live.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts