Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
High stakes stuff here. $20-40 blades for a car that cost $60-80k new...

Valeo or Bosch or OE seems safe. I think I just paid $36 for a set of valeo from FCP euro. It’s less than half a tank of fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
727 Posts
I put Michelin blades from Costco on all 4 family vehicles. We see 40+ inches of rain a year here and work and hold up well. Costco ran a special for $5 or $6 a blade any size a while back. I think they are normally $9... Ironically I couldn't find a rear blade listed in any of the guide books at any outlet for the X5 and finally asked at the O'Reilly parts counter. Their computer listed a Bosch, which they keep in the back room as opposed to on the rack. It was $12 vs a BMW brand I found on Amazon for $15.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got mine at Costco too. If someone can chime in on the rear wiper replacement I need one too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got mine at Costco too. If someone can chime in on the rear wiper replacement I need one too.
Bosch R1521 (SDFR1521) Spectrum DirectFit was $11.99 at O'Reilly. It had a plastic cap type adapter you pull off and it fit perfect on my '13 rear arm.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I find looking up the BMW 11 digit part number first, then typing BMW xx xx x xxx xxx (where x=the BMW part nbrs) into a google search box...will find multiple vendors selling the exact & correct part I need.

Try it out...get the 11 digit part number from one of the online part database for the part you need....then google it to see how many vendors are selling the part. And if eBay and Amazon.com don't come up in the results...do the same thing on their sites:

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a pair of Rain-X blades for my 2012 X5 at Walmart. Don't recall the model number but they work great.
I also use Rain-X wiper fluid because I can't stand the rain sensor over a simple intermittent wiper. Water beads nicely so I often don't need to keep the wipers on during light rain.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
Rain-X brand WW fluid supports the growth of slime biofilm in your WW reservoir. There are frequent reports of WW systems failing for the pump sanction strainers being clogged with slime. While you have flow, denature the slime and flush / rinse it away.

For WW fluid I use distilled water (for no hard water spots) and methanol-denatured ethanol as anti-freeze, wetting agent and solvent (and denaturant).

For hydrophobic windshield I use AquaPel.

Rain-X brand has been sold and is no longer a uniquely capable product. It is carp. Rain-X was originally registered as a trademark in 1972 by Unelko and sold to Quaker State in 1997. Between 1997 and 2011 Rain-X was marketed by SOPUS Products. In 2011, Illinois Tool Works acquired SOPUS' car care business primarily producing Rain-X branded automated car-wash solutions.

Here is the Safety Data Sheet of a Rain-X product with the ingredients and their fraction listed.

https://www.rainx.com/wp-content/up...-N-1-Glass-Cleaner-Rain-Repellent-5222018.pdf

Here is Rain-X brand listing of Safety Data Sheets. https://www.rainx.com/safety-data-sheets/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stay away from Goodyear. I bought some either at Costco or Sam's about your ago, and the lock mechanism came off. They were not held by anything other than the spring attention on me wiper arms.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,792 Posts
Anyone that make a claim at FCP for a 'warranty' on a part that simply wears out (when it's purpose is to wear out) should be shamed.

Wiper blades, spark plugs, air filters, suspension parts, brake parts.

IMO

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
Anyone that make a claim at FCP for a 'warranty' on a part that simply wears out (when it's purpose is to wear out) should be shamed. IMO
It’s their only way to afford their BMW. Notice that BMW has cut way back or eliminated complimentary consumables. No wonder.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anyone that make a claim at FCP for a 'warranty' on a part that simply wears out (when it's purpose is to wear out) should be shamed.

IMO
What harm is it to you or me to take advantage of this? I mean, you spend $25-$40 on wipers and then in 6 months or a year, get a replacement set for the cost of returning the worn wipers? That's better than spending the same money again on a new set.

I agree that it seems crazy to offer this for wear items, but they do, so why not?

·
Registered
345 Posts

IMO

Ard you are kidding right? They make their warranty terms front and center on wear items including oil and filters. I regularly do my oil changes for free now by using their lifetime warranty. I just bought a 911, and put on new front brakes for the track...free pads and discs whenever I want now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts