BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wipers stops in middle off the windshield when i turn them off.

when i spray washer they start and go back in middle of the windshield

help me

·
Registered
742 Posts
You'll need to remove the wiper arms and reposition them. This thread has some info on how to perform the arm removal, as the driver's side arm is a bit difficult to remove:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225722

Good luck!
Sorry, but I believe that this is wrong. If the wipers still operate at a full sweep, he will likely wreck both his wipers and the motor by repositioning the wipers.

He most likely has the wiper double relay issue. there is a relay in the box under the cabin filter housing that holds a relay that helps to control where the wipers park. if this has gone south, you will need to replace it.

If it is not the relay, there are some contacts on the motor that need to be cleaned to ensure they park in the right spot. Here's a link to the procedure: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/wipers.html

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Not enough info as to the cause, but this issue happened to me and others on this board. One common cause is turning on the wipers when frozen to the windshield, but also because the driver's side pressure nut that holds that arm on gets loose and slips, causing the wipers to be out of position.

If you take off the wiper arms then run the wipers you can watch to see the sweep with the arms detached, so that you can see where the rest point and apex locations are. Then you can re-attach them in the rest position. A few attempts are needed to get the optimal positioning.

But hey, it could be the relay. But I'd remove the arms and see what's happening first.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do not reset the location of the arms, etc.

Check into your relay.

I just got done removing my relay and turns out that one of the contacts had burned enough to prevent the contacts to read closed (by a DMM). A quick cleaning with emory cloth/sandpaper, reinstallation:

- everything works, including the rain sensor which had not been working for a while

1 - 7 of 7 Posts