BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wipers Stop Intermittently and Stop

548 22
Hi All,

I read the other posts regarding the Wiper Relay and Motor but there is a slight difference with whatI am experiencing.

When I put the key in and press start(doesn't matter if I start the engine or not). I can turn the wipers on and they'll stop in the middle of the windshield after about 4 or 5 times back and forth. I can turn them on one more time and they'll move again, 4 or 5 times.

After the second time, I cannot turn them on at all. I tried rotating the timing dial, using the auto function but nothing, I literally have to remove the key, put it back in and turn the car on again.

So far, I have replaced the Relay - Same issue.
Replaced the Wiper assembly with new motor - Same issue.

I am leaning towards the control switch or the Rain Sensor being bad. Obviously the rain sensor would be easier.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BMW Adrenaline
2011 BMW 328i
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Even if you start driving they won't work again?
I had something similar my wipers would come on on their own when I inserted my key and not turn off.
Turned out my battery had expired and was not providing enough voltage to run various systems.
New battery and zero issues.
Reactions: BimmurBrothor
Nope, They work twice and then they stop. I have to turn the car off and remove the key, then start it again. If I'm driving, same issue.
Even if you start driving they won't work again?
Hmmm, well that is something I never thought of. I will check that tomorrow and thank you.
I had something similar my wipers would come on on their own when I inserted my key and not turn off.
Turned out my battery had expired and was not providing enough voltage to run various systems.
New battery and zero issues.
Update:
• Battery was registering 10.8. I put a new battery in today. Same issue.
Recap:
• Replaced Relay - Same issue.
• Replaced the Wiper Assembly with New Motor - Same issue.
• Replaced Battery

Thinking it could be the switch?
Did you register the battery?
Switch is a possibility.
I would look for bare wires and ground issues.
Mice love to chew on BMW wires.
Can you scan for codes?
Thanks for the reply.

• I keep hearing people talk about registering the battery. I have never done that and have never run into any issues. Not sure why.
• The wiper issue happened before the battery was replaced.
• Today, I checked the wiper control fuses, 50 and 79. Both are good.
• I don't have a scanner but I can take it down to auto zone and they'll let me use theirs. I'll report back.
Did you register the battery?
Switch is a possibility.
I would look for bare wires and ground issues.
Mice love to chew on BMW wires.
I suggest you get a bluetooth obd scanner
Font Rectangle Plant Packaging and labeling Carton

I got mine on Amazon.
Then get the Apps Bimmerlink and Bimmercode
This will allow you to read BMW specific codes.
Clear them and also make some cool coding changes.
I also allows you to register your battery.
This is important because the system charges based on the age if your battery and its condition. Failure to do so can ruin a new battery and damage components.
Font Rectangle Plant Packaging and labeling Carton
Reactions: BimmurBrothor
So I looked up the battery registration and see and understand why you're supposed to register your battery. I called around starting with the Stealer, to other BMW shops... $150 Plus to connect a scanner and press a couple of buttons, lol. I just bought a scanner made for BMW that says it registers batteries. I am in the wrong line of business.

Also, I watched the voltage on the dash for the Alternator. It is charging at 14.2. That's not over charging the battery, which was one of the reason why you're supposed to register the new battery.
Appreciate the suggestion but I stay away from these. I have a bad habit of leaving them in the car and I wasted $99 on a Blue Driver when the Voltage Regulator went back and spiked voltage through the car. It blew out a few things including my blue driver.
I suggest you get a bluetooth obd scanner
View attachment 1076657
I got mine on Amazon.
Then get the Apps Bimmerlink and Bimmercode
This will allow you to read BMW specific codes.
Clear them and also make some cool coding changes.
I also allows you to register your battery.
This is important because the system charges based on the age if your battery and its condition. Failure to do so can ruin a new battery and damage components.
View attachment 1076657
Ok just trying to help.
Mine has saved my ass several times with my 2011 335xi.
I wish you the best of luck.
Don't get me wrong. Definitely appreciate the help. My scanner will be here tomorrow. I will register the battery and scan for codes.

I found a couple more fuses to check but they were good.

Besides the switch, could a bad rain sensor be an issue.
Ok just trying to help.
Mine has saved my ass several times with my 2011 335xi.
I wish you the best of luck.
Hmm.. that is interesting I get a reoccurring code on my car for the rain sensor value. This only shows up when I scan and always clears.
I also get a code for my sunroof they are the only codes I get on a regular basis that I have not been able to address. Everything seems to function as it should. You may be on to a viable path.
Cheers.
Reactions: bmwadrenaline
Update: Scanner came today. Registered the battery and found these codes. A6C9 and A738(see pic).
Communication Device Mobile phone Gadget Telephony Mobile device
Did you try clearing?
Yes sir. Cleared all codes and drove around yesterday for a bit. Scanned again and only a few codes showed up this time. These were a couple.
Did you try clearing?
So I see people swapping out the JBE but it has to be coded to the car so that may be a last resort as far as this rabbit hole is concerned, haha. I'll keep the thread going until it's fixed as most threads about this seem to replace the relay and the motor to fix the issue.
I will be following your progress.
My car is around the same vintage and I am sure that my rain sensor code will not cure its self.
Best of luck I hope you get it solved.
Reactions: bmwadrenaline
1 - 20 of 23 Posts