BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the mountains this weekend and my wipers quit while driving in the snow. I checked and they were not frozen and I started looking for a place to pull over and check the breakers when they started working again. BUT, now the home position is at 12:00 o'clock. They are working ok except the rest position is right in front of my sight.

Anyone seen this and how did you fix it?

See Attached photo.

(Also got stuck, cable chains ineffective, had to jack the car up to get the chains on. Professional chain-putter-onner couldn't get his hands around the tires. Are 225/55-16 all that rare? $40 to get pulled up last 50 feet)

Thanks, GWB, Irvine, CA

Attachments

·
Banned
0 Posts
Easiest way is to remove the arms and reset them at the proper home position. Something probably stripped, but who knows, you might get lucky. That probably did happen from turning on the wipers when they were frozen.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Oh and chains are a pain but with low cars you have to lay on the ground and snap the connections orientated on the bottom of the tire. You wont fit your hands into the wheel well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably didn't describe this very well.
View from drivers seat:
  • Ignition off, wipers at rest: 12 o'clock
  • Ignition on, wipers on intermittent: 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 12 o'clock etc
  • Ignition on, wipers off: 12 o'clock

If I remove the wiper arms at 12 o:clock rest and put them on at 3 o'clock- Movement will be down towards 6 o'clock.

I need to find a way to reset the wiper motor so rest is at 3 o'clock.

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem you are having. Out of the blue, although my wife was driving when it happened. The wipers work fine they just rest in the up (12 o'clock) position? DId you ever fix your problem?

·
Stubborn DIYr
41 Posts

·
Stubborn DIYr
41 Posts
It is likely the connection of your wiper linkage to the wiper motor - this can slip. With the wiper motor in parked position (ie: shut off) loosen the nut at the wiper motor, rotate linkage so the wiper arms are parked correctly, tighten nut securely. Will need a haynes manual or similar to get directions on how to get at the motor linkage, but not too difficult.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts