BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy a new bmw 335i after trading in my old crappy car. I am not sure if Sports package is safe enough in rain/snow/sleet. I heard someone saying the car tailspins a lot in sleet/snow if you have the sports package on it. Also I am not sure how much performance difference does sports package make??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Depends what you want... I have a 328xi with the sport package and AWD/Winter tires. I went with the sport for what I felt were better looking wheels, and the nicer seats. Being that you are getting rwd I think the problem is going to be the summer tires that you are getting with it. I have read a lot of people around here saying that a rwd 3 with some good winter tires and DTC turned on will do great in the snow. Just get a dedicated winter setup for your wheels/tires and enjoy the sport in the summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. But that would mean every summer and winter I will have to change my tyres which is quite a hassle I want to avoid. Hence my question if there is any major performance difference with and without the sports package.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The sport seats alone are worth going for the sport package. I had a dealer loaner when my coupe was in for service...it did not have the sport package...and I couldn't believe how flat the standard seats are.

If you are a sedate driver then you probably can live without the sport seats, but if you like to enjoy your car and drive aggressively now and again, the sport package is a no brainer!

·
Registered
202 Posts
When it comes to seating, the premium package is essential for the adjustable lumbar support.

How tall are you, OP? Some of us tall folk actually prefer the non-sports seats because they seem to take up less space. When I'm in my friend's E90 with the sports package, I can't seem to get as comfortable as I can in mine (without the sports package). I think the reason is that his seats are "bigger", leaving less space for me.

Suggest: Test drive.

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts
sports pkg, any day...

·
Registered
82 Posts
When it comes to seating, the premium package is essential for the adjustable lumbar support.

How tall are you, OP? Some of us tall folk actually prefer the non-sports seats because they seem to take up less space. When I'm in my friend's E90 with the sports package, I can't seem to get as comfortable as I can in mine (without the sports package). I think the reason is that his seats are "bigger", leaving less space for me.

You can have premium package with lumbar along with sports package :thumbup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the seats make a lot of the difference. Personally, I hate the standard seats. They alone would be a deal-breaker for me. Very little lateral support and the flat, abruptly-terminated seat bottom wreaks havoc with my legs. Sport seats are much more comfortable for me, but depending upon your build, might feel restrictive, or might feel great.

I think if you drive cars in various configurations, you'll probably find the RWD sport package configuration the sharpest in feel, though a little rougher and noisier. And yes, you'll want summer and winter tires for it probably, if you're in Ohio. If you like the sport seats, but want something more all-weather friendly, you might want to think about an X-drive model which will have the sport seats and steering wheel, but the standard AWD suspension tuning. The AWD and all-seasons setup will better cope with summer and winter driving conditions without swapping wheels around, but a lot of people here will still advise use of snows in the winter. Ask your dealer. I just did the swap myself last year, but I think some have their dealers swap and store their wheels each season which might make the whole thing more manageable.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
In Columbus? What's this rain/snow/sleet you speak of? :)

Sports package, hands down... the streets in Columbus are 10x better than the potholes they call "roads" over here. Also, you don't even need an X-Drive for Columbus, just some Blizzak LM-25 snow tires will work great.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A 335 without a Sports Package? That's just not right.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
If I were you I'd get the sports package. It will mean that once temperatures get below 40 degrees F you will need all season tires as the summer tires are dangerous in slippery weather. That is a given and part of having the sports package in colder climates.

Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Try 'em (all) out!

I know many folks find the sports seats comfy. And I like them in the coupe. But in the sedan, I prefer the lower-profile non-sports seats, which leave more room for, well, me (about 6'4", 200 lbs). Small car, tall person; thin seats better.

Last summer one day we had breakfast in Leipzig, lunch in Nürnberg, and dinner in Zürich. No sports package, no problem. We did have the premium package, with the lumbar support.

OP, please may I suggest several test drives? Check out the different seats, and the different drive trains. Since you asked about "performance" you should check out AWD, which is the real-world performance package. :thumbup:

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
Question for those who wouldn't buy a 3 series w/o the ZSP...What you you get instead?

I don't have the ZSP because I couldn't afford it or the extra set of wheels and tires. There's still no other car in this price range I'd rather have than my non-ZSP e90.

Thanks, Mike.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts

I have to agree with the size issue. I am 6'3" and weigh 230 lbs. Broad shoulders, big chest, and the extra hugginess of the sports seat bothered me after 30 seconds. I like the wider tires/rims of the sports, but the rest is meh for me.

Comfort = more important then anything else.

Lumbar support option is great...I just wish the lumbar bar would go about 4 inches lower on my back (I have lower back problems).

One last thing - bigger people usually have no issue with sliding around while making curves at high speed (at least at 100MPH on a curve *I* didn't) :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I heard someone saying the car tailspins a lot in sleet/snow if you have the sports package on it. Also I am not sure how much performance difference does sports package make??
Doesn't anyone TEST DRIVE cars before deciding on things like that these days?...

It makse for firmer ride and better handling, especially in cornering at high speeds and on track. Much nicer than stock. But its firmer. If you got tons of potholes in your area may be test drive both.

As to the tailspin stuf... lol. I did my BMW winter driving course in msport car and i wished i had regular suspension because there was 10 inches of snow on the ground - so i wanted higher clearance and narrower tyres, but that was in extreme weather and we were driving full out, not like on streets. So don't worry about it, get the sport package, its not that low that you will have big isues in snow. Sport package gives you excellent sport seats and thicker smaller steering wheel. Dont think you get much else but that's pretty damn good. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts