BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99, 328i with 180k miles on it. and when im cruising at about 10-30 mph, i notice a little wobble, in what feels like the back end. it almost seems as if some one is outside pushing the car back and forth. it's not bad, but it is getting progressively worse. any ideas as to what this could be? anyone else experience the same problem?

thanks in advance,

David

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
Did your bowling ball get out of it's bag?

bushings/ball joints?

wheel alignment?

tire rotate & balance?

Are all the lug nuts tight?

bent rims?

:dunno:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Yep, I'd first rotate tires to see if that's the problem. Just because you can do that at home in 20 minutes.

Then I'd have a shop check the alignment and rear trailing arm bushings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's the upper rear control arm, outer bushing. The upper rear control arm is also called the upper wishbone, and it is also the bottom spring perch. The bushing wears out. I had a similar shifting from side side feel which went away with this repair. I didn't (and haven't) replaced the rear trailing arm bushing at all, and the car is now steering correctly at all times.
Sure it could be the trailing arms too, but I get the feeling that too little attention is paid to the upper rear control arm, which is "monoball" type of ball joint, which means it wears out like a balll joint.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the wobble is consistent and rhythmic, check the rear rims for straightness and the rear tires for out-of-round. If it is an irregular wobble, then check the suspension arms and bushings for excessive play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts