Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 bmw e39 530i a couple weeks ago and I got a P0304 code. They told me that the sensors were bad so I ordered all of the sensor. I replaced the two crank shaft sensors but I can***8217;t seem to get the Variable Timing Solenoid Dorman off to replace the cam shaft sensor. Some idiot rounded the bolt so I can***8217;t get a wrench over it without it slipping off. I***8217;ve tried everything. Wrench, adjustable wrench, and even vice grips locked on it impossible tight. Nothing will turn this. I***8217;m going the right way because I***8217;ve watched every video known to man on YouTube about this. Mine just won***8217;t come off and I have no idea what to do. It***8217;s like completely rounded. Please give your suggestions.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
- Get a new (or used) VANOS solenoid from local junk yard or ebay for $25-$30. Use realoem.com to find the proper PN.

- Then be prepared to destroy the existing VANOS solenoid by using a Pipe Wrench on the body of the VANOS solenoid. May want to add a piece of rubber so it bites better.

- Re tool: I have the Fan Clutch tool 32-mm and 36-mm combo type.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
- Get a new (or used) VANOS solenoid from local junk yard or ebay for $25-$30. Use realoem.com to find the proper PN.

- Then be prepared to destroy the existing VANOS solenoid by using a Pipe Wrench on the body of the VANOS solenoid. May want to add a piece of rubber so it bites better.
The body of the Vanos is spinning. I can spin it with my fingers. I didn***8217;t think it was normal. Is it normal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I***8217;ve used the 32mm wrench from my tool set. It just refuses to back out! I***8217;m going to go to the store and get a bar to slip over it to give me more leverage but this is ridiculous. It shouldn***8217;t be on this hard. And is my vanos solenoid trash now? Also what does it do for the car?

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
The 3rd photo showed you turned the body CW.

To remove this, turn the 32-mm DOWNWARD, which is CCW.

This device activates the piston inside the VANOS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts