BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Won some new rims

1273 18
Mmmmm, can't wait for the new feet? If tires are shoes........
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
You paid THAT much? Could've just bought a set from a site sponsor. Full sets have been sold on various MZ forums for half as much.
Brand new or refinished? I have been looking for 5 months now, so I doubt it. New is around $2,000. I got a set of used ones for $500, you are correct, but they ain't perfect. I wanted new or perfect.
Not trying to hurt your feelings, but I would get out of this purchase if you can.

New chrome shadow wheels can be had for $1431 plus shipping.
The problem is yours are refinished wheels in the wrong color.
You also don't know if they were bent or not.
Looks like they also painted the tapers (where the lug bolts go) which your not suppose to do.
Speed00 said:
Brand new or refinished? I have been looking for 5 months now, so I doubt it. New is around $2,000. I got a set of used ones for $500, you are correct, but they ain't perfect. I wanted new or perfect.
And why is it a problem to paint the taper?
Well both factory pairs I have are "painted" in the taper. It does thin out as it gets deeper in the taper though.
I know they aren't factory color, if you read the auction it states that.... and nobody I have found can reproduce the original. I was told the paint is lead based and can't be done in the USA. :dunno:
I was going to have mine painted or coated over again for $300-500, so selling my old ones for $500 (Which I already have set up) and then buying these removes my trouble. You think I didn't check all this out already? The ones for $1400 are to expensive for me (I am out a total of about $400 with the ebay ones after shipping)
Wheel Medic did them for him and I would assume they weren't bent, or if they were they are fixed. Either way, I bought them with a credit card and can be compensated if there is a problem, same with paypal. I have 600 transactions on eBay, I don't understand your concern.
Ron Stygar said:
Not trying to hurt your feelings, but I would get out of this purchase if you can.

Looks like they also painted the tapers (where the lug bolts go) which your not suppose to do.
Stock wheels do not have the conical seats painted, for very good reason. Same reason you shouldn't put grease or anti-seize on the seats: lugbolts will come loose.

If it were me, I'd have kept my known-condition wheels and had them refinished, or saved up longer and bought new ones. I'd asssume the wheels went to Wheel Medic for a reason, and that the seller is getting rid of them for that reason.
they're very heavy and bend easily, you can get a much better wheel for the money :dunno:
don't like any other rims that fit our cars.
TeamM3 said:
they're very heavy and bend easily, you can get a much better wheel for the money :dunno:
So you are saying there is bare metal in the conical seats? Maybe not clear coated paint, but there is paint.
dwm said:
Stock wheels do not have the conical seats painted, for very good reason. Same reason you shouldn't put grease or anti-seize on the seats: lugbolts will come loose.

If it were me, I'd have kept my known-condition wheels and had them refinished, or saved up longer and bought new ones. I'd asssume the wheels went to Wheel Medic for a reason, and that the seller is getting rid of them for that reason.
So which of the three areas do you mean, cause only the bolt cantact points are bare. Now that's no big deal to have removed.

By the way, I love the negative support.
My guess is your not going to like the ones you won either.
Look at the pics at the ebay link you deleted and look at the detail in the center opening where the BMW logo cap goes.
Speed00 said:
The conical seats. There should not be paint there, and there isn't on any of the stock wheels I've seen. It will screw up torque readings and when the paint loses its adhesion, the bolt can work its way loose.

If the seats are painted on your new wheels, let us know. Any reputable wheel paint shop should know better than to paint the seats.
btw, IMO the buyer never "wins" on eBay, they are just the high bidder :dunno:

there is a difference ... :angel:
What's wrong with this picture? :confused:

Ebay tip: If you see something you want, do some research and figure out how much it is worth by checking similar auctions or recent auctions that are similar. Once you figure out the max $ you are willing to spend add the auction to your watch list and bid at the last moments of the auction (if the going bid hasn't exceeded your maximum). Never place the first bid. Never bid against yourself by setting maximum bids before others have had a chance to bid. You'd just end up bidding against yourself. Great for the seller, not so great for you.

By the way, I love the negative support.
Negative support? We are trying to alert you to back out of a bad deal/ill-informed purchase. I guess we really should've not given a damn and cheer for you?

BTW since you seem to be new at this... Ron, DWM, and TeamM3 have all been here a while and are considered by many to be the gurus. If you really want to learn stuff... listen to what they have to say instead of being antagonistic towards their advice-giving. As for me... you can behave whichever way you wish towards me... it doesn't bother me. :)

Attachments

Or use esnipe. :)
felonious monk said:
What's wrong with this picture? :confused:

Ebay tip: If you see something you want, do some research and figure out how much it is worth by checking similar auctions or recent auctions that are similar. Once you figure out the max $ you are willing to spend add the auction to your watch list and bid at the last moments of the auction (if the going bid hasn't exceeded your maximum). Never place the first bid. Never bid against yourself by setting maximum bids before others have had a chance to bid. You'd just end up bidding against yourself. Great for the seller, not so great for you.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm out of here ... :eeps:
Speed00 said:
People here tend to go the extra mile to be perfect.

If your new wheels balance up ok and you remove the paint in the seats they should be ok.

I would torque them frequently.

Sometimes when you are on a tight budget you have to make trade offs.

I also like the roadstar wheels on our cars.

Do come back here we want to know how you do.

always welcome new members:hi:
Thanks Bob.

I talked to the seller on many ocasions before I bought from him. I have a feedback of over 480 and would never buy something like that without checking it out first and asking the right questions. He sold them cause he wants to go with 18's and never wore his tires down enough to switch to the new rims.
I talked to the manager at Discount Tires and he even showed me rims with paint in them sitting on the shelf for sale. He said that's why they make you come back after 100 miles to re-torque them. Although I will check these carefully as the paint may be thicker if it's there at all.

The thing I don't get is how Ron can jump to these conclusions from those pictures. You can't tell if that is paint or not, even in the larger photos.
He was only trying to help. He did say:

Speed00 said:
The thing I don't get is how Ron can jump to these conclusions from those pictures. You can't tell if that is paint or not, even in the larger photos.

Emphasis on "looks like". A guess... not a statement of fact. All points he raised were valid points and things to watch out for. You can always sand away the paint in the conical seats if it becomes a problem.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.