BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about ready to purchase my next car and have been wanting an early 5 series. Found one that's been well-taken care of, low miles, and recently had some major work done (valve resurface, head gasket, water pump, Vanos, nearly $3000 worth of work). The only thing is I'm not crazy about the color combo. It's silver with grey interior. My preferred (exterior) color is the grey, but this one seems to be in such great shape that it could be a good find. But silver on grey is pretty bland. I know from watching a lot of Youtube videos that you can do a lot to spruce up the paint, from claying to polish, buffing etc. But I'm wondering if it's possible to darken the silver a little using a wax or something, without getting it re-painted? Like add a tint? The alternative would be do something with the interior, darken that somehow (polish the seats, replace the carpet with darker grey). Just to give the interior/exterior some contrast so it isn't so bland. Has anyone done this?
SilverBMWedited.jpg

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
You could bet the body wrapped but that is probably $$$$.
How about getting the seats and carpet tinted....maybe black.

·
Registered
733 Posts
+1 on exploring a vinyl wrap if you really want to change exterior color...A lot less $$ than a paint job.

Like Jim suggested, maybe you keep your eye out for somebody parting out an E39 with a black interior.
I bought a complete black sport interior this way and have it on a shelf waiting for an otherwise nice E39 with tan or gray.

Classic Silver on black is one of my favorite combos..

PM if interested in buying it, I might sell it.

·
Retired
372 Posts
Some si02 coatings will darken the paint....ask this question at autogeek....I believe Carpro Cquartz will darken a bit.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Just find the car you want....The other options are time consuming and a lot of work. Unless you are an experienced DIYer and like that sort of thing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just find the car you want....The other options are time consuming and a lot of work. Unless you are an experienced DIYer and like that sort of thing
That's very unlikely, inventory is extremely limited. Plus there's the satisfaction of working on your own BMW to make it exactly the way you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts