BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all

I purchased my 2002 325XI for 500.00. they sold it to me because they were frustrated that they could not pass emissions with 15 codes and would not start in the cold weather. So here is the story of what I did.
1) replace the lower intake boot. 50.00
2) replace plugs and coil boots 110.00
3) repair hose to Oil separator 10.00 hose
4) replace fuel pump 80.00
5) replace fuel filter/regulator and relay
6) replaced t-stat/top hose and overflow tank/ flush and fill 250.00
7) replace oil separator to a cold weather kit. I went to a shop for this since I was at my wits end. 700.00 worth every penny. they smoke tested it and wam bam that's what they found
8) new Michelin tires 600.00
9) oil change 50.00
So today the temps were minus 15 below zero. this baby started right up with no issues. I have decided to give it to my youngest daughter since it started better than my 2013 Chevy. All 15 codes were gone and no problem passing emissions. as you notice that some of the work was just because but the main not starting issue in the cold was the oil separator. moral of the story have a service tech smoke test it before replacing parts that might not be needed.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
868 Posts
$500 bucks??? Nice Aha...

Reminds me of the 97 chevrolet camaro i bought for $500 bucks. A mechanic owned the car and changed an insane amount of parts and couldnt get the car to start...

I told him "ill give you $500 for the car" so i did.. I brought the car home.. Starred at the engine for a bit.. I moved the ignition wires to see if they were fully inserted onto the spark plugs and noticed they were really loose.. I follwed the wires and presto the wires were burned halfway and chopped.... Bought new wire set. Turned the key and vroom.. She was so smooth and sounded so nice..

Drove it around for an hour.. Everything seemed fine.. No codes either.. 2 hours later.. Sold the car for $2500.00

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts