BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My 1985 318i wont start @ operating temperture:mad:, but it would start when I push start. Any ideas why it wont start.

THx

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it will start when it cold but it wont start when its @ operating temperture even when i am flooring the gas pedal, could it be the maf or something else. I dont like push starting every time i have to go somewhere.

Ps.(for people who dont know how to push start continue to read, push start is when you put your car in gear with the clutch depressed all the way down then(with the clutch depressed) push the car at 5+ Mph, and let go of the clutch and the car will start. only works in manual transmissions.)

·
Banned
2,704 Posts
it will start when it cold but it wont start when its @ operating temperture even when i am flooring the gas pedal, could it be the maf or something else. I dont like push starting every time i have to go somewhere.

Ps.(for people who dont know how to push start continue to read, push start is when you put your car in gear with the clutch depressed all the way down then(with the clutch depressed) push the car at 5+ Mph, and let go of the clutch and the car will start. only works in manual transmissions.)
:rolleyes:

Check your fuel pump.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fuel pump is working i can hear it.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Starter is beginning to fail.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Actually when the starter heats up (heat from the running engine) it causes the winding in the starter to expand, thus making cracks etc move and shift. When it's cold it draws up slightly allowing for better conductivity. Or that's how it was explained to me once anyway.........

Check your engine ground too.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Starter is beginning to fail.
Actually when the starter heats up (heat from the running engine) it causes the winding in the starter to expand, thus making cracks etc move and shift. When it's cold it draws up slightly allowing for better conductivity. Or that's how it was explained to me once anyway.........

Check your engine ground too.
That makes more sense.:thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the car cranks same speed cold or hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about when the car is nice and hot? like you just shut it off 5 minutes ago. Or does it do it when the car has had a chance to cool down a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts