BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Long-time BWM lover here! This forum is fantastic and has nearly led me to buy a new 335, but before that, I've a problem and hope to find an answer.
My 2000 528i (steptronic) wouldn't start this morning. The stereo and dash board lights "blink" while the key is turned, but the engine will not turn over. Checked under the hood for any bad smells and the fusebox...all is well. Tried it again, same. So , I put it in Neutral and it starts just fine!!! Went to my appointment, shut off the car, and restarted in Park no prob. Came out after 90 minutes...no start in park; OK start in neutral. Being 8 years old with 142k miles...could it be the battery is on its last legs?

Thanks to all
Paul Van Sickle
Southern Maryland

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Hello!
Long-time BWM lover here! This forum is fantastic and has nearly led me to buy a new 335, but before that, I've a problem and hope to find an answer.
My 2000 528i (steptronic) wouldn't start this morning. The stereo and dash board lights "blink" while the key is turned, but the engine will not turn over. Checked under the hood for any bad smells and the fusebox...all is well. Tried it again, same. So , I put it in Neutral and it starts just fine!!! Went to my appointment, shut off the car, and restarted in Park no prob. Came out after 90 minutes...no start in park; OK start in neutral. Being 8 years old with 142k miles...could it be the battery is on its last legs?

Thanks to all
Paul Van Sickle
Southern Maryland
Although the electronics in these cars are known to do very strange things when a battery is about to die, this is one I haven't heard of. If you've never replaced the battery in 8 years though, I'd be surprised if it isn't hanging on by its last toe. Maybe it'll solve the issue. If not, you're long overdue anyway.

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
Because the battery in these cars is in the rear, they have the potential to last alot longer than cars with them in the engine bay. Reason: less heat on a day to day basis is healthier for the battery.

Trans Gear selection switch could be bad and not recognizing park position.

But I do not have a definitive answer for you.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I think it is the battery...getting hard to start now. I was able to move the gearshift when I turned the key to the ON position, then shifted into Neutral.

Now, for a part number. My trusty Bavarian Autosport catalog just happens to be here on my desk! :thumbup:

Thanks to all,
Paul

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Might be the sensor that confirms the car is in park?

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
The battery would not do this... If it were te battery it would not start in any position...

And the switch I was referring to is not a switch at all. it is on page 15 of the link that is posted above.. Mine went bad and gave me the same problems.. And when I got it started it would immediatley go to safe mode though.... But if it is bad I could see it only not picking up the "P" position..

·
Registered
164 Posts
When my battery was going it would randomly start then about two days later it was done.[

QUOTE=SHWELL;2592968]The battery would not do this... If it were te battery it would not start in any position...

And the switch I was referring to is not a switch at all. it is on page 15 of the link that is posted above.. Mine went bad and gave me the same problems.. And when I got it started it would immediatley go to safe mode though.... But if it is bad I could see it only not picking up the "P" position..[/QUOTE]

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
When my battery was going it would randomly start then about two days later it was done.[

What is random about it starting only in the Neutral position..... If the Battery keeps it from starting park, wouldn't it do the same in Neutral. Or is there extra power in the battery while in Neutral?????

From his description I would personally rule out the battery.. Unless I am totally missing something. If it is the Battery it is free to have it checked at most parts stores... Put it in Neutral and drive it over to AutoZone or something...

He did not mention in his post whether or not it was cranking but not starting in Park.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The same thing happened to me on my 1995 Nissan altima when I had it about 8 years ago. Guess what it was, it was a way for the car to let you know that the brake light were OUT and need replacement.

But I am guess BMW is more sophisticated and should show something on the dahs saying "brake light out".

My nissan would not start when in P, but when in N it woukld start. Basically they would make your life miserable till you replaced the light. But this behavior was documented in the manual.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Most likely it's the Neutral Safety switch that's acting up. This happened to me on my MB300E and replacing the switch fixed the problem. I'm not sure if the BMW trannies are the same though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, the battery took care of it! Autozone's Duralast replacement was $72 after a $12 core charge return. The battery is heavy and in a difficult position. The Duralast's breather tube is in a different location, but came with an adapter, so all is well!

Now, to start thinking about a new 335!:thumbup:

Best to all who posted!
Thanks
Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts