BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my situation, any advice is appreciated.

My 2003 330i sedan decided it did not want to start about 2 weeks ago. I just turned the key and nothing happened. I waited a sec, turned the key again and it started up just like normal. That afternoon, when I was leaving work, the problem repeated itself although this time I had to turn the key multiple times before the engine would turn over. Once I got home, I turned the car off and turned it back on again multiple times, it started on the first try every time. I assumed my battery was not holding a charge very well, and given the age/cost to replace, I went ahead and drove down to autozone (in my wife's mini) to pick up and install a new one. I was so sure it was the battery that I didn't even have the old one tested.

Now, every time I get in the car I have to play this little game where I turn the key, hold it, wait, turn again, sit there a couple of minutes, turn it 10 more times, and eventually it turns over and starts right up like nothing was wrong.

Now I am thinking it is the starter, but after wasting a hundred bucks on a battery I am a little hesitant to pick one up and go through the trouble of installing it if I may be wrong.

Any suggestions?
Has anybody had a dealer replace their starter, do you remember how much it costs?
Has anybody done the repair themselves?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,252 Posts
You did`nt waste any money....if that battery was original, I guarantee it was on it`s last legs....so you did a god thing. The other problem might be as simple as a dirty/corroded conection. Remove the battery cables,clean all terminals (especially at the starter solenoid), and re-connect everything. If that does`nt do it, have the started checked.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts