BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently configured my 550i for ED (July 22 p/u) with Black Leather, Light Poplar Wood Trim, and Anthracite HL. Looking at the configurator, I'm kind of wondering what the bamboo anthracite trim would look like, instead.

Anyone have that combination (Black Leather, Bamboo Anthracite, Anthracite HL)? How do you like it? Is it too much black/grey? Does it look absolutely freaking smoking hot sexy? Or would the brown wood blend in nicely and tone down all the black?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I really recommend you actually eyeball any color you are thinking of. Other persons' opinions and pictures are helpful, but until you actually see it yourself it is very risky to make a decision.

I have been considering the bamboo for some time. I really thought it looked good on the website visualizer and in pictures. When I saw it in person though, I was not as impressed. And I liked it more in the showroom than I did in a car out in the sun.

Contrary to its name, the bamboo is not black. It's a dark brown, about the same shade or just a tad darker than the dark poplar wood. But the grain is really neat. It's straight, where the poplar is swirly. I think if the bamboo could be dyed a darker black color it would be my choice. But the brown color looks washed out when you get it in the sun (where cars spend most of their time).

Try to find it (or any other color option) and see it in person.

·
Registered
562 Posts
FWIW I have the color combo you chose and think it's awesome. I didn't like the anth bamboo I've seen. The contrast of the Lt Poplar with the black interior is just right, for our tastes.
Cal

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I prefer the Bamboo Anthracite Wood. My friend's X5 has it paired with anthracite headliner and gray leather, and the result is a clean, modern look.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I prefer the Bamboo Anthracite Wood. My friend's X5 has it paired with anthracite headliner and gray leather, and the result is a clean, modern look.
I like the bamboo more on the X5 than the E60. There is less wood trim on the X5, and the less wood the darker the bamboo looks. The bamboo wood is brown, not black, so the less you see, the more black it looks IMO.

Again, it is best to see it in person and on the exact car you are getting if possible.

Also, apparently the anthracite headliner offered on the X5 is not the same as the anthracite headliner offered on the 5 series. See here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

·
Registered
49 Posts
bamboo like me duh :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bamboo. I also like their rolling paper a hell of a lot.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
I went with the Bamboo. Would have preferred Anthracite Maple but that was dropped in 2008.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the black leather, Anthracite liner and Bamboo trim. The combo looks great and I am sure you will like it. I don't like the lighter woods in such a dark cockpit.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
I like the bamboo more on the X5 than the E60. There is less wood trim on the X5, and the less wood the darker the bamboo looks. The bamboo wood is brown, not black, so the less you see, the more black it looks IMO.

Again, it is best to see it in person and on the exact car you are getting if possible.

Also, apparently the anthracite headliner offered on the X5 is not the same as the anthracite headliner offered on the 5 series. See here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Sometimes it's brown. For the most part, it is black with some tan highlights. In intense sunlight and in flash photography, it can look reddish brown, but that's fairly rare. It mostly looks black.

I spent much time waffling back and forth on my trim choice, and ultimately, with some reluctance, picked bamboo at the end. I've been happy with my choice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sometimes it's brown. For the most part, it is black with some tan highlights. In intense sunlight and in flash photography, it can look reddish brown, but that's fairly rare. It mostly looks black.

I spent much time waffling back and forth on my trim choice, and ultimately, with some reluctance, picked bamboo at the end. I've been happy with my choice.
I agree with that characterization 100%. I really like the bamboo. But I also waffled, and (at least right now) I decided that I would not get it. It really is a personal decision, as the bamboo is very close to the dark poplar.

The point I really wanted to make for the OP is, after hearing all the opinions and looking at as many pictures as possible, he should still try to see it in person. Seeing it in person gave me a different perspective and was the deciding factor.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bamboo

I've currently configured my 550i for ED (July 22 p/u) with Black Leather, Light Poplar Wood Trim, and Anthracite HL. Looking at the configurator, I'm kind of wondering what the bamboo anthracite trim would look like, instead.

Anyone have that combination (Black Leather, Bamboo Anthracite, Anthracite HL)? How do you like it? Is it too much black/grey? Does it look absolutely freaking smoking hot sexy? Or would the brown wood blend in nicely and tone down all the black?
Ive just ordered Bamboo Anthracite on mine. With this color combo , I think it complements and adds to the color theme.

Dark Poplar I grew tired of on my 545i

1 - 12 of 12 Posts