Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts

Where are the grills in front of each air vent??

Push those two tabs you see sticking out on the right and left at the top, just below the raised line that runs across the back. Just be careful. You will then be able to get to the back of the piece.

Before you do that try to get it off from the front. Take a small flat head screw driver and insert it in the middle of the side of the cover plate. Slowly and gently start to lift up. You can start to twist the head of the screwdriver to the side to get lift. The cover plate should pop out. When you have it out take a look at the back and you will the the clips that secure it to the vent assembly. As long as you are careful you should be fine.

Just be very careful you don't slip adn scratch the surface. Probably does not matter too much if you are replacing it with another piece.

·
Needs Boost
12,109 Posts

Where are the grills in front of each air vent??

Push those two tabs you see sticking out on the right and left at the top, just below the raised line that runs across the back. Just be careful. You will then be able to get to the back of the piece.

Before you do that try to get it off from the front. Take a small flat head screw driver and insert it in the middle of the side of the cover plate. Slowly and gently start to lift up. You can start to twist the head of the screwdriver to the side to get lift. The cover plate should pop out. When you have it out take a look at the back and you will the the clips that secure it to the vent assembly. As long as you are careful you should be fine.

Just be very careful you don't slip adn scratch the surface. Probably does not matter too much if you are replacing it with another piece.
That's what I was thinking, but he said it didn't work :dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i have the grills, they just were not on at the time. and those two tabs hook on to the dashboard, pushing on them will not do anything. as it may be hard to tell from the picture those raised lines go all the way across and do not disconnect, meaning its all "molded" together for lack of a better word.....from the front it may look like it can pop out, but it just isn't possible, it's all one piece. i'm guessing since the dashboards are different throughout the years this may be another factor, like the newer dashboards have a smooth passenger side with an airbag and my dashboard has an indent on the top with no passenger airbag.

i'll just buy a new vent assembly....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ill pass on the carbon, its not my thing...

i just plan on using this wood piece and if im lucky i want the door handles.

also plan on getting a wood grain steering wheel....but thats it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A 1995 has three clips on the back of the wood grain trim. Ant the dash has three holes in it to accept the clips. There is also at least 1/4 inch recessed plastic that will surround the wood trim. Yours looks like a different design and a new or used vent piece is needed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts