BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word of advise if anyone switched to the metal propeller pumps if u here the noise ur talking about. Im changing mine now heard noise light at first then it got bad so i quit driving n when i pulled it that metal scarred the housing from very little running when the bearings in the pump went out thats why they used plastic but still better then picking pieces out of motor. Just make sure u immediately fix it when u here it going out cuz the last thing u want is to replace the front of the motor.

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its fine but i think if someone let it go to the point that like the plastic propeller shatters the metal one would probably crack the housing is why i posted this cuz I've fixed one someone let go to long n spent a long time cleaning out plastic pieces from the motor. If it would of been metal that housing would of cracked or broke apart. If im not mistaken all the I6's or aluminum on the front end at least the e39's I've worked on appeared to be.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Water pump bearings go bad...it's working constantly. Usually the water pump will start to leak (check the weep hole) which is on purpose to let you know it's time to consider to change the water pump. But that's not the reason why bmw used plastic impellers. Stick to the metal (get the brands hepu or graf) and you will be happy. Don't get a cheap Chinese made pump. Like meyle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts