Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, just a quick question, how long does it usually take to change the automatic transmission oil, differential oil and transfer case oil on an E70 X5? My local indy shop told me 4~5 hrs for the labor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the transmission are you meaning just a fluid change?
If you are talking only fluid 4-5hrs is a lot of time to dump the oils out through plugs and refill.
If you are talking a full trans service (drop pan and replace all the sleeves and the like) then I could see it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,243 Posts
1.5-2 hrs to do a pan change and complete fluid drain and fill with a lift, multiple drain pans, all the right tools, simultaneous tasking

4-5hrs is about right if you are paying a shop

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the transmission are you meaning just a fluid change?
If you are talking only fluid 4-5hrs is a lot of time to dump the oils out through plugs and refill.
If you are talking a full trans service (drop pan and replace all the sleeves and the like) then I could see it.
4~5 hrs for all 3 oil change (transmission oil, differential oil, transfer case) and replace the transmission pan

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,538 Posts
Hello everybody, just a quick question, how long does it usually take to change the automatic transmission oil, differential oil and transfer case oil on an E70 X5? My local indy shop told me 4~5 hrs for the labor.
Sound right. Remember that the work will be in series, one component worked at a time, and not three or four mechanics all being paid from the same work authorization, getting in each other***8217;s way, trying to use the same tools, the same drain pan.

Were it me, SM, I***8217;d have closed end work done first, diffs and TC, then the AT with variable time to achieve required temperatures.

·
Registered
148 Posts

You gotta let the trans cool down as well cos the fluid in the transmission needs to be between 40-50 Celsius for proper level check - factor that in how long your car will be in the shop

2012 E70 X5 N63 50i

1 - 7 of 7 Posts