Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
He looks a little thin. They should feed him more, though I can imagine his food bill is already extraordinary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That dog has some horrible proportions that make it look goofy in a comical way. So glad my Great Danes are how they are supposed to be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
He looks a little thin. They should feed him more, though I can imagine his food bill is already extraordinary.
I would imagine putting on the pounds would make his long term outlook as far as leg and hip pain are concerned worse.

Didn't click on the link but I'm wondering; was he bred to be that big or did he just turn out to be that big? I can't imagine that breeding him to get the world record is going to do him any favors for a long and healthy life. :thumbdwn:

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
He doesn't look like a purebred. I am no expert in Great Danes but I know windhund dogs (windhund, sighthound, racing dogs, etc), and he looks like a mix.

Look at his lower back, see that it goes down in 45 degrees? That's how it is on the windhunds. Those visible ribs are also one of the characteristics. I am assuming that he inherited whose long tall legs from the windhunds too. Take a look at these pictures and see what I mean. You know that some of these windhunds are very tall dogs. Not all of them tiny like the grayhound, but the "built" is the same.

Maybe that's what made him so tall?? It took his natural height and added that tall long legs proportion and you got that tall Dane. :dunno:

Saluki

Whippet

Grayhound (can be up to 30" shoulders high)

Azawakh

Deerhound

And of course the real grayhound

Or maybe he is just deformed. :(

?

·
Eye of the Wolf
2,775 Posts
He doesn't look like a purebred. I am no expert in Great Danes but I know windhund dogs (windhund, sighthound, racing dogs, etc), and he looks like a mix.

Look at his lower back, see that it goes down in 45 degrees? That's how it is on the windhunds. Those visible ribs are also one of the characteristics. I am assuming that he inherited whose long tall legs from the windhunds too. Take a look at these pictures and see what I mean. You know that some of these windhunds are very tall dogs. Not all of them tiny like the grayhound, but the "built" is the same.

Maybe that's what made him so tall?? It took his natural height and added that tall long legs proportion and you got that tall Dane. :dunno:

Saluki

Whippet

Grayhound (can be up to 30" shoulders high)

Azawakh

Deerhound

And of course the real grayhound

Or maybe he is just deformed. :(

?
As you well know there can be huge variation in a breed, but I agree this "Dane" has something else going on...
Your comment about the rear angle of his back end is spot on. Moreover, the dog lacks the smooth muscular body of a Dane. I see all wolf hound and I do not see mastiff.

In general, Danes maybe gorgeous but are endowed with troublesome concerns. Most have serious health issues. Moreover, tragically their lives are usually short - 6 to 7 years. From a working dog perspective, their capacity for work is limited. What you have in the end is a giant lap dog. My experience with German shepherds has taught me that the bigger dog is not necessarily the better dog. With GSDs many understand that large is a desirable trait but giants are endowed with limited potential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts