BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

probably a dumb question but I thought I might as well ask. I am attending a track event in Las Vegas speedway in a little under a month. My current tires, Kumho MX at 225/45r17 are worn down to about the wear indicators, i.e. tread left but not that much. I have some new tires sitting in my garage right now, Toyo T1-s in the same size. My question is should I put the new tires on before or after the track event? seems like the kumho might actually be better since almost equivalent to a shaved tire? Or that would be unsafe and I should put my new tires on? as in once tread is gone there is basically no more tire left.

thanks
Jeff

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
Hi,

probably a dumb question but I thought I might as well ask. I am attending a track event in Las Vegas speedway in a little under a month. My current tires, Kumho MX at 225/45r17 are worn down to about the wear indicators, i.e. tread left but not that much. I have some new tires sitting in my garage right now, Toyo T1-s in the same size. My question is should I put the new tires on before or after the track event? seems like the kumho might actually be better since almost equivalent to a shaved tire? Or that would be unsafe and I should put my new tires on? as in once tread is gone there is basically no more tire left.

thanks
Jeff
Use the Kumhos. Bring the T1-S with you in case you cord the Kumhos.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I think you have a better chance of damaging the new tires than the old ones. With all that tread squirming around at speed, there's a chance you could cup the edges. It happened to me at an autocross years ago with a new set of tires...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Assuming you pass tech, run the Kumhos. I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. I went in to get new tires, but the owner of the tire shop said I could run another weekend on them. It's a good feeling knowing you've gotten full usage out of a set of tires. :thumbup:

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
Hi,

thanks
Jeff
There are portions of that track which are *ahem* interesting if you run slicker tires, especially as the sun heats up the tarmac. :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
yeah figuring I wont pass

~~~~~~~~
thanks for the replies
Vegas don't often do an onsite inspection, so you can take your chances. But if you plan on taking the Toyos, mount them now so they'll have a chance to bond and heat cycle.

·
10,856 Posts
Hmm. If tires near the wear bars won't pass...

You guys should see some the tires I've taken through tech. :eeps:

...then again, one time, when I corded my rear tires BADLY, and then told my instructor I was going to switch to a different set, he told me that "it's more fun that way!" (I was getting wicked oversteer and having a good time, but it was starting to get pretty excessive...)

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spoke with the mechanic who does my tech inspections and he said the BMWCCA is being very picky with tires so said he would most likely fail me with my current tires. T1-s go on tomorrow. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good idea. Get the T1-S on now so you'll have enough time to break them in before the school. The worn tread of your Kumhos won't necessarily give you better grip, because a tire's traction will also be significantly affected by how many heat cycles it's been through, as each heat cycle will harden the tire. The new tires will also make the drive to and from Vegas that much more pleasant, since they'll probably be much quieter.

--Andre

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andre Yew said:
Good idea. Get the T1-S on now so you'll have enough time to break them in before the school. The worn tread of your Kumhos won't necessarily give you better grip, because a tire's traction will also be significantly affected by how many heat cycles it's been through, as each heat cycle will harden the tire. The new tires will also make the drive to and from Vegas that much more pleasant, since they'll probably be much quieter.

--Andre
wow, you where right. :thumbup: Been driving my toyos around for a couple of weeks and there is a huge difference in ride quality and noise compared to my worn out kumhos.

Too bad it looks like I will be driving the wagon instead at vegas, get to enjoy the noisy tramlining es100. Hopefully I will put them out of their misery and wear them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts